Baby's size, what could it mean?

Up until now, baby had always measured to the dot on my ultrasounds (compared to my due date it was rarely even a day off on the measurements, except for a lil on the heavy side but just barely). Well, the last ultrasound had been at 20weeks & once again, everything was measuring exact. Yesterday, however, I had another ultrasound & baby is a LOT bigger than my current gestation. I went in yesterday at 31weeks 3days, but every measurement was coming out to 34weeks & up. That is a whole 3weeks ahead of my gestation! Why is it that the first half of my pregnancy he was growing at just the right measurements, but now he is all of a sudden huge?? Is there something wrong that could cause this? Is it normal for such a jump in size difference?? I don't see my doctor until Friday, but it keeps popping in my head how bizarre this seems to me...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Up till 20 weeks most babies grow at the same rate. After 20 weeks each baby starts growing at their own pace. Their growth is attributed to factors like, parents birth weight, mothers body weight, mothers sugar intake (gestational diabetes), and babies own growth cycle.
    If you have been tested for gestational diabetes, then try not to worry about it. Your body will not grow a baby to big for you to birth, unless you have diabetic issues.
    Good luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• its just an estimate, its not exact at all. and your at the trimester where they pack on fat. i wouldnt worry about it at all.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• He may just be a big baby, most doctors won't change your due day if your already that far along. Don't worry about the mesurments, theye are mostly to make sure you baby is growing, but your dr may give you the option of inducing a few weeks early if your baby's big.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 7:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• my son was the same....i just had a larger baby...thats alll...i delivered at 38 weeks becuase he was measuring so big....but he may slow down on the growing....you never know
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009