Hungry but refuses to eat!!

i dont know what is going on with my little girl she goes through stages where she will eat all the time then its like every couple hours .. but this time she is refusing to nurse .. she is only 7 weeks old i dont know whats going on!! ... i feel like she isnt getting enough when she does eat for like 5 minutes then all she does is cry for like 30 minutes like she is still hungry but she wont eat!! .. she is 7 wks old she was born 8.1lbs .. she was 7.6lbs when we left the hospital .. she is 10.6lbs now ... and like over a week ago she was 10.6 and today she is still 10.6 .. is that normal!!??? ,, im like freakin out because i dont want to give her a bottle ...but i dont know whats goin on and why she hasnt gained anything in over a week!

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call your ped and ask if the weight is something to be concerned about. Not b/c I think it is, but b/c people on here can only reassure you so much. Hearing it from an expert can help. I did not have the same experience as you when I was nursing, but still want to just say hang in there. If you know her weight I'm guessing you went to the Dr, so you know she doesn't have thrush or anything, right?

I'm not your Dr but will guess that your Dr won't be overly concerned about no weight gain over a 1 week period. It'll probably just be something you want to keep an eye on and make sure that THIS week there is a gain. Babies go through grwth spurts, and maybe she hit one before the last weigh in and now has slowed.

Anyway, if you're determined to continue to BF don't give up. Be responsible (talk to Dr about your concerns) but there is no reason to stop BFing and go to formula unless Dr tells you there's a reason.
    Bensmommy611

Answer by Bensmommy611 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My DS does that as well I have not checked his weight this week b/c he eats fine at night so I am not too worried about it. but during the day time he does the same thing I have no idea why but it is very irritating sometimes  best of luck momma

Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 7:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• How long has it been that she's refusing? Honestly, this sounds pretty typical. If you are nursing on demand, and your baby is gaining, or not losing weight, and you change 6-8 diapers a day, then she's getting enough. At 7 weeks, she may be just getting over a growth spurt, and therefore, not needing to nurse as much. I'm fairly certain that if you follow her lead, it will be fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• How are her dipes? That's the first question...she's getting enough if you change 6-8.

Is it possible your letdown is overwhelming her? kellymom.;com has a great article on fast letdown...check it out.

And drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more troubleshooting help.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Babies always have a slight drop in weight after they are born (converting to the different environment) Trust the baby. If she is not losing weight it should be fine. It could be a number of things including teeth. Check for things like ear infections and fever. Trust your own instincts too. They are a mother's best friend. The doctor should be able to reassure you.
    catgil85

Answer by catgil85 at 2:01 AM on Sep. 3, 2009