What is the best way to get in shape?

I am 25 with a 16 month old. I get out of breathe walking upstairs. I weigh almost 200 lbs. But I am only 5'1. I just don't know where to start.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Walking is always a great place to start! Plop the LO in a stroller and go for a walk around the neighborhood, at a local track, or inside at the mall! There are some great workout dvds out there as well!
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 9:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree the first thing to do is get moving. Even just a walk around the block is great, and when that gets easier start walking farther. After you've done that I suggest a good home workout program (dvds). Make sure that whatever program you get it includes some strength training. Muscle burns fat so you need to do it as well as cardio. Also start making smart food choices. Eat about 5 times a day. Gets lots of whole grains, lean protein, fruits, veggies, low fat dairy etc. If you need any suggestions of workout programs or anything else feel free to send me a message. :)
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 10:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Exercise and eat right.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I would start with simple changes.
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains a day.
    Replace meat and dairy with legumes like bean, lentils and tofu (all loaded with calcium and iron). Be sure to eat a vitamin C source with an iron source (like kale or beans) to increase the absorption of the iron.

The weight that you are carrying is putting a huge strain on your body. You may want to work with a doctor and nutritionist or dietician to help construct a healthy lifestyle.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Hey Anon...you are about my size and I was put on a super strict diet for kidney disease, but I'm losing wt like crazy!! if you friend me here, I can send you the info that is more specific.
    The biggest thing is to check portion sizes!! A portion of rice/pasta is 1/3c. I measured what I ate and it was 3 portions.
    Second thing is, there are heart healthy foods and less heart healthy foods. What you are eating may actually be detrimental to you, even if you're watching what you eat.
    Here are the breakdowns for what to eat each day:
    2 healthy fats (avacado, almonds)
    2 dairy (yogurt, 1 c skim milk)
    3 fruit (heart healthy ones include bananas, cherries, and strawberries)
    3 veggies (greenbeans, NOT peas, corn)
    4 grains (peas/corn; lo cal whole grain bread)
    9 protein (fish is HUGE!!)
    Very little beef, a bit of chicken
    I've lost 14 lb w/o trying.
    FInally, work out...start w/what you can do and build. Lift wts too!!
    geriann

Answer by geriann at 12:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I used to be quite heavy myself and didn't like to go to gyms because I felt self-conscious about my body. You can eat better and eat less if you like, but it won't do much good if you are not moving around. (burning calories) Basic rule to lose weight: "Burn more than you take in" How did I do it? I joined an online gym and I've lost 8 pounds in the past month alone and feel better about myself. www.dailyfitplanet.com It's worth checking out.
    maurinew

Answer by maurinew at 2:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The #1 way to lose weight is to begin a food diary! Write down every thing you eat or drink and at what time.

Once you see what your daily intake is you will naturally begin to think more healthy and chose foods that are better for you. You will also notice what time of day you tend to snack or starve your self.

The other #1 way to lose weight quickly is to eat a healthy BREAKFAST! Fruit, a glass of milk, and some wheat toast will go a long way. Snack on healthy foods as well. Take a container of fruit or veggies and dip to work if you feel hungry before or after lunch.

Also stay positive. You will start to lose weight and then possiby gain for a week or two. Thats normal and healthy. It means your fat cells are turning into muscle. Muscle burns calories more quickly! So, it's actually a good thing.

If you have any further questions or just need a pep talk, let me know!

Good Luck!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 8:19 PM on Sep. 5, 2009