Breastfeeding as a working mom?

Okay baby number 2 on board and first I want to know how exactly it worked when you went back to work? Did you have to pump on your lunch break or something? If so, what do you do with the milk until you get home? Also, if I wanted to stock up a milk supply before returning to work, how long does the milk last- as in how long can you freeze it before it has to be used? Any advice that I need to know would be very helpful. I formula fed dd even though I wanted to BF her. (Ex husband wouldn't allow it... long story...) So this is a very exciting time for me and I want to hear everything you can tell me! Thanks mamas

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went back to work when both my kids were 3 months old. Thankfully, only 3 days per week. On those days I would pump 2x a day in the file room, lol. I had a little cooler that I put the bottles of milk in and put the entire cooler into the fridge...thought it might freak some people out to see the actual bottles of milk, lol. I'd wash the pump parts that needed washing and leave them out to dry until the next pump session. I had a medela pump in style, very nice pump... took me about 20 minutes each session... at the time it seemed like a giant pita, but thinking back, those times were nice quiet relaxing breaks...I always brought a good book with me. Definitely try and get some banked in the freezer before you go back, they last quite some time. I would take what I needed out of the freezer and put in the fridge the night before they went to daycare. Any other questions, just ask me =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I worked part time, I would pump bottles for LO before leaving but most of the time he wouldnt take a bottle, he would wait til i got home. I didnt pump at work, no breaks or lunch hour for me, so when I went to the bathroom I just changed my nursing pads, hand expressed when I got home then latched him on to take care of the rest.

But like I said, I worked part time, 2 days a week maybe 3. From what I remember you can freeze it for up to 6 months. You can also take a small cooler with you to pump at work and keep the milk cool. Hope some other moms have something better for you.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I never did but one of my friends has a group for BFWM http://www.cafemom.com/group/95746/
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• First join a breastfeeidng group, join La Leche League, get some breastfeeding books, and take a class before baby arrives. Be prepared. Get a reliable pump like medela. Start your milk stash as soon as baby's born and save up. To help let down and get the most out of your pump, pump one breast WHILE nursing on the other. Also use warm compresses to help the milk flow (it's not as easy with a pump).

jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• You have every legal right to pumping breaks beyond just lunch time and a clean place to do so. Here's a link to storing milk. You might also want something like this to make pumping easier so you can mulittask. Be sure to stay consistent and not use bottles for the first few weeks. When you do, use SLOW flow WIDE nipples to better mock the breast and not cause nipple preference.
    jus1jess

• When apart from baby, you should ideally be pumping according to her feeding schedule, to keep supply up, and to supply her with milk. You don't need a big stash, what you pump today should go for tomorrow's feedings, and so on. Milk can be frozen for approx 6 mos, or up to 12 in a seperate deep freeze. Gotta put the little ones to bed, but I'll be back and try to say more.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I only had my lunch hour to pump when I went back to work. And the only place I had to pump was the bathroom. Luckily, I didn't live that far away so I usually went home to pump.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I pumped once for every three hours away. Stored the milk in the fridge...no one ever cared.

Kellymom.com has a chart with storage guidelines to help you.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I went back to work when my son was 14 weeks. I didn't really have a supply built up though. I work 10 1/2 hour days and I have to pump on both my breaks. I should probably pump 3 times a day but there really isn't time. I pump two 5 oz bottles a day and my son eats 3 while I'm away. I work M-W-F, so I also pump on my days off to make up for the extra bottle and I pump on weekends to try to build up my supply. I store the milk in the fridge at work until I get home. I freeze most of my milk. In the freezer it lasts 4-6months. In the fridge bm lasts 5-7 days.

I use the medela freestyle pump. I bought the double-pump and the hands free set. I've never used either. I have to squeeze my boob in order to get the milk flowing in a timely fasion so the double pump and hands free are useless and really a waste of money.

Good luck!
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I am a wmof a 9 week old. I love it! I pump about every three hours my DS, thats normal eating time for him, I travel all over for my job, So I pump in my car and stop and clean my parts when I am done. I have a medela pump in style. The best pump out there personally. I comes with a cooler and an ice pack, I just keep the bottles in it , Then when I pick up my DS I just swap out todays empty bottles for full ones for tomorows. You basically have to make it fit your lifestyle, Fresh milk will last in the fridge for 5-7 days, room temp, 4 hours,cooler with frozen ice packs 24 hours. I hope this helps
    msaltmomof2

Answer by msaltmomof2 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2009