Do you have a heightened fear of the dentist?

So much so that you can hardly breathe and your blood pressure shoots up?

What do you think makes you so afraid?

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 7:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Health

• I had a terrible fear of the dentist because of some bad experiences. But I finally found a Dentist and a Hygienist who are very gentle and comforting and they do not make you feel like a crybaby. LOL. Find a good Dentist and your fears will start to go away. You don't have to take pain and abuse from a Dentist. Really.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• yes...I'm afraid of needles and there was a few times when they didn't wait for the Novocaine to set in and I let them know about it.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 7:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yep. I had braces for 4 1/2 years so everytime I go in I associate it with the pain of getting them tightened. And almost everytime I go in they find a cavity or something "wrong" with my teeth...(my bottom teeth aren't perfectly straight, and I don't really care since you can't see it but they always try shoving retainers in my mouth for them that I end up never wearing)

I have to go in next month for a cleaning and I really don't want to go =[
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Oh do I ever. I had so many bad experiences with dentists while I was in the navy. I remember needing a root canal for a tooth, it would not get numb, and the dentist kept angrily telling me to just suck it up. I have toothbrush recession and 4 of my teeth are sensitive, but the hygenist rolled her eyes when I told her not to use the pick and hook thing in that area to clean my teeth. I have more stories..But now I go to a dentist who deals with people like me. If I could afford it, I would have sedation dentistry and just get all the work done while I am knocked out.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I asked this question because I wanted to know I wasn't alone. Except for seeing a dentist 2 years ago to get a prescription for a tooth infection, I have not been to the dentist since 1983. I was 16 years old, the last patient of the day, and the dentist made moves on me and tried to rape me. Thank God I only had novacaine so that I could hit him upside the head and run out. I was too afraid to tell anyone for decades because no one did anything when I told my foster mom that my step-father had tried to rape me when I visited him. So I took care of my teeth the best way I could on my own but the old type of fillings caused a couple of my teeth to break and an infection set into one of them and I've been dealing with the pain off and on for a few years. Well, I realized in this day and age that all dentists are no longer male, there are females, too. So I looked in the phone book for female dentist names and called them....
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• ...until I found one who accepted my insurance. I went in yesterday for a consult and was incredibly impressed. I mentioned to the scheduler of my fear and necessity of having a female dentist only so when I went in they not only made sure that I had one of the female dentists on staff, but that I also had a female 'team' to care for me. They checked my blood pressure and it was high and they offered to turn on the massager in the dental chair and to give me a parrafin wax treatment on my hands, which I denied because I was scared and just wanted to go home. The more I was talked to casually the more I began to relax, which was nice. They took a full round of x-rays, asked lots of questions, had a hygenist come in and recommend a scaling & planing cleaning, and then the dentist came in and said she will pull my 3 bad teeth, give me 2 crowns, and have the cleaning done all at once in one visit. (con't)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• She said if I got it all done at once she would waive the $400+ sedation fee to make it easier on me. Further down the road she will make me a thing with fake teeth to go in where my pulled teeth will be....is it a bridge? She was so sweet and gentle. Then I met with the financial lady who offered me coffee and introduced me to her sweet little doggy who sleeps in the office she works in. She gave me my total after insurance coverage, which was $1500, and offered for me to apply for credit payments if I couldn't pay it up front. I applied and was granted a $3000 limit. She was not business-like at all, very friendly, concerned, helpful, and pleasant. OMG - I FINALLY found a dentist and practice I can feel safe in!!!
    I just wanted to share my story. ♥
    Thanks for listening. {{Hugs}}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2009