What's the best way to get my 3 yr old to go poop in the bathroom and not in his pull-up??

He does not have problems with peeing in the toilet. He tells me that he pooped once all done. No heads up that he has to go.

ms.tom28

Asked by ms.tom28 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get rid of the pull-ups. No joke, for my kids, pull-ups didn't work at all, they treated them like diapers. Then for our last one, we found something he REALLY wanted and told him that when he went a whole day with no accidents, we would give it to him. After 1 day of no accidents, they see how easy it is to clean up after and how less uncomfortable it is, and usually do so on their own after that.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Stop using pull ups that's what I had to do with my son. I started using underwear and he didn't want to poop in them a pull up is to much like a diaper.

Also a lot of times it takes a little longer for them to master the pooping in the potty
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Two additional ideas:

Take the poop in the underwear or diaper and take it to the toilet and flush it down. Don't just roll it up and throw it out anymore.

Tell your child the poop has to go to a poop party. It's really fun there but the only way the poop gets there is by going down the toilet.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 7:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Like pp said, get rid of the pull ups and use underwear.
    sararsara

Answer by sararsara at 10:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Pull ups did no good for potty training my son (thank goodness that was years and yrs ago) Put him in regular underwear and see of that helps. This probably is gonna sound bad, but when my son was 4 he refused to come into the house to poop (we lived in the country and he would pee outside) But he would always poop in his underwear and after about 4 times of him not coming in I made him hose out his own underwear in the yard and he quit pooping in his pants and came in from then on. ( I know, kinda extreme, but I knew he was being lazy)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:32 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I TOTALLY agree about the putting poop in the potty and flushing it!! We used cloth diapers, and made a big deal about poop going in the potty. We started taking him to the potty to flush it away starting at about 14 months. When it was time to potty train, I told him, "OH GOOD! Now you can make your own poop go in the potty!" He had a semi-regular poop schedual at the time, so I would put him on the potty and tell him to push it out into the water. He thought that was hilarious, and wanted to try it right away. Now at 2.5, he has only had one poopy accident, and he was MORTIFIED, because when he took off his undies he stepped in it. Hehe, lucky me, having the only "afraid to get my feet dirty" two year old. =)
    Valerieeee

Answer by Valerieeee at 11:44 PM on Sep. 7, 2009