Whats any ideas on getting my 2 year old off of the bottle?

She only drinks milk in it, it's not like she is sucking soda or sweet tea out of it all day. She never sucked a pacifer, so I guess this is her security. She calls it her "body". It's not easy to take her off when her two older siblings are constantly running for it when she whines just a little. She won't take a sippy cup, if anything she'll drink from a regular cup once in awhile. I know it's time for her to give it up cause of her age & the fact she bites huge holes in the nipples.

mommy31533

Asked by mommy31533 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• very easily dont give it to her . end of story. teh day my dd turn 1 i gave her a sippy and she drank from it.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• just get rid of the bottles period. rip itoff like a band-aid... she will whine but if she is chewing through the nipple she chew off alot and choke too. if she really wants the milk she will drink it out of the cup. I through out the bottles when my second was 1 1/2 yrs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• there's also the fact that the sucking of a child older than 18 months puts them at higher risk of ear infections and teeth issues. How much so, I'm not sure so take it with a grain of salt. I have a very strong willed daughter and I just started only offering sippies. She would cry for her bottle but definitely moved on very quickly. Since you have older sibs giving the bottle to her, you're going to have to either toss (or donate) them or put them in storage. the bigger deal you make out of it, the harder she'll resist so just do it after she's gone to bed and I bet she'll come around quickly. She'll drink when she's thirsty enough.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 8:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree with what everyone else has already stated. It's hard to do but "cold turkey" so to speak is best. We weaned my son from constant bottles to just a bottle at naptime and bedtime and finally we decided to just take them completely away. He is 20 months. Last night he was upset with getting a sippy cup so he ended up going to bed without anything. Just be completely prepared for the screaming. Prepare for the worst and maybe you could be pleasantly surprised? You never know. Good luck!
    Qivarys

Answer by Qivarys at 8:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If she's older I'm not sure if this would work but my son wanted to be like the "older babies" so he just started in on a sippy cup. It worked well. I agree with the other ladies, cold turkey might be the quickest but messiest way.
    Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 8:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I just took the bottle from my son.. And he was a little fussy the first 2 or 3 days then he is fine now loves the sippy
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• As mean as it may sound in your head, you are only prolonging the inevitable. Just throw the bottles away and tell her they are gone. No more bottles. Yes, she will cry, yes, she will ask for them and yes she may throw a fit, but she will get over it, she isnt going to remember you taking them away and she isnt going to be traumatized. You are going to feel worse than she does, just because you are mommy. It will have to be a household effort though, if someone goes and givers her the bottle back you will be back to square one. But if she goes to school with that bottle the kids will laugh at her :) ( just kidding, im sure you wouldnt let her have it that long)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2009