when kids visit family out of town who buys the plane tickets?

I asked if my sisters kids could come out on or around certain days and that it would be other family members kids here as well. I said that if she couldn't get the tickets to let me know. she said no because I shouldn't have expected her to pay and although I was willing to she said it would be like me doing her a favor for something that wasn't her idea. I just missed them and didn't think this was wrong.

pebbleleaf

Asked by pebbleleaf at 5:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Travel

• Well, I can see where there was confusion, if I'm reading it right. From what it sounds like, you said, if you can't get the tickets, let me know, which implies that you were expecting her to pay for them and she might feel insulted and a little embarassed if she couldn't afford the tickets. I think that the person who's idea it was should pay for the tickets. From her side, she may not have that type of money. I can understand you want to see your sister, perhaps you could visit her? I think the remedy to the situation would be to talk to her, explain that you think there was a communication and that you just know your kids miss their cousins and wish they could see each other again. Your family, you should be able to talk through it. But if you live far away, there may not be the chance. I lived across the county from my siblings(one is still very far away), and we didn't see each other, or if we did, it was very, very rare. I hope it helps.
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 5:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• well, if i were to invite the kids then i would expect to pay personally, but if the mother refused then would maybe suggest spliting the cost.
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 6:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• It depends on each of your financial situations. I used to drive and get my nephews to spend the summer with me. They were in school. My sis was a single mom, and paying for childcare while she worked would have been hard. I was a stay at home mom with a baby. I could afford it time-wise, and money-wise. Years later, when my boys were teen-agers, our situations had changed, and my husband had been in an accident, she paid their plane fare to come stay with her. I became very close to my nephews that summer, and my boys had a great time with their aunt. Talk to her. The offer was made, that was generous. If she can pay, that's fine, too. Whatever works so you can spend time together is worth it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• ahh you do it's your family.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 22, 2009