Cold Lunch = Balanced Diet?

How many of you moms make cold lunches for your kids? If you are one of those moms, how do you make sure they get their veggie intake during that lunch hour? I put carrots in my DS's lunch and i told him to eat them and every day he said he would. And every day he didn't. lol

So what kind of veggies do you add to your kids lunch? What do you do to make sure they eat the veggies you give them? TIA

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 7:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in

• My oldest son loves salads, so I send salads, it easy to add lots of veggies to salads. Or offer other veggies with dip, I swear kids will eat anything if they can dip it in something. Cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, etc. I also send hot foods in a thermos with my kids, you can send soups, pasta, almost any hot food, you just have to have a good quality thermos, and it's easy to veggies in that way too.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• maybe try and hide the veggies? or add little bowls of dips? if you want to hide them, try chopping celery and carrots really small and put them into tuna or chicken salads or you can send a turkey and cheese wrap and put lettuce tomatoes and juliened carrots into them- if you want to do the dip thing i know alot of salad dressings and dips are making single serving size containers (and even peanut butter is doing this) so throw a pack of that into the lunch box with things like carrots celery and sliced bell peppers to go with ranch or sour cream and onion, or celery sticks with the peanut butter and a box of raisins for him to sprinkle on top of the peanut butter. Also you can try these ideas plus let him get creative at home on the weekends and whatever he seems to like pack those into his weekday lunches- if i think of any other ideas ill let u know
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• if you cant get them to eat veggies at least get them to eat fruits. Its much easier and has a lot of benefits (almost as much as the not as sweet veggies)
    catgil85

Answer by catgil85 at 1:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I have a long list of mostly healthy, mostly vegetarian, bagged lunch ideas that I have collected over the years. Send me a message offlist if you would like a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2009