Should I switch formula?

My 3month 4week old daughter has a lot of problems. Since she was born she has tons of gas, grunts and cries all the time, has been diagnosed with colic, acid reflux, is on zantec, has very thick bowel movements, still unable to sleep through the night, wakes up screaming... I asked her doctor and she said that changing formulas will NOT help, and that I should keep her on diffrent perscriptions..

Is that really true?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 8:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first daughter went through this, Her first doctor thought she had reflux too (turns out she didn't which is why the meds never helped)

When we changed doctors, her new doctor suggested that she might have a milk protein allergy, turns out she did, as well as a soy protein allergy. We put her on alimentum, which is hypoallergenic, and it was an immediate difference. She went from being a gassy, colicy baby, to being a happy baby, and not crying hardly at all.

IF you are going to switch, I suggest something like alimentum (similac) or nutamigen (enfamil)... its alot more expensive but if it brings relief, its worth it.. imok
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• she is currently on Similac Sensative because she couldnt handle the regular similac formula.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 8:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Most of these things are common in formula fed babies. You should look into relactating. It'd be absolutely wonderful for her health and it would make things far less painful on her.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

http://www.alisaikeda.com/Clients_Clips/Relactation/body_relactation.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• did she ask if she should breastfeed? no she asked if she should change formulas.

you can try changing formulas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Ask your pedi, not here.
    Anonymous

• anon 812, that's a lot of bull too. My nephew who has been nothing but breastfed has severe allergies and acid reflux.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• to set the record straight I've tried breastfeeding, even after mothers milk tea and pumping- I couldnt get my milk back. Ive talked to my pediatrition about her problems and she wants me to continue putting her on all types of perscription drugs. My instinct is telling me not to. I was just hoping theres a mother out there who is going through the same thing and could give me advice, or tell me a formula that worked for them
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 8:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Well the PP is correct that what you have mentioned OP is very common in FF babies...formula is hard to digest, made of cows milk or soy which their little bodies have no idea to digest and all the nutrients in them are synthetic so they are badly absorbed...kinda like the difference between taking a multivitamin or eatting the food with the same nutrients in it.

Yes relactating really may make a HUGE difference....but I knwo you didn't ask about that...but the info is there...facts are facts about BM and formula...formula is harsher on bellies

Try the elemental formulas Elecare and Neosure, neither have cows milk or soy so it may help...many preemies do better with those than even the sensitive ones.

Donated breastmilk might be something else you can try...theres a milkshare group here on cafemom with moms who give milk locally for free
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• You could try a more hypoallergenic formula like Nutramagen.. but it stinks. It might help but it might not. I don't think a soy would help and it would likely make her more gassy and more constipated.
    And both elecare and neosure are special formulas and without a prescription would cost an arm and a leg if your insurance didn't help pay for it.

As far as her reflux... make sure she is sleeping at least at a 10 degree incline
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• She's only 4 months old, she shouldn't be expected to sleep through the night yet.

The colic she will just have to out grow.

She has reflux. You need to listen to the doctor! Changing formulas often causes stomach upset until the old is out of the system and the new is in. Do you REALLY want to put her through that on top of her reflux?

Breastfed babies have reflux too. The reflux has nothing to do with her being on formula. I know someone who exclusively breastfed for the first entire year (no solids even) and her son was on reflux medication the entire time. If you don't do what you can to control the reflux, it can get worse and it can burn the esophagus.

No one knows what causes colic, all babies can get it, but not all do. Breastfed babies also get colic, it has nothing to do with her being on formula.

Relactate or don't. She will still have these problems.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009