Do your kids go to school if they are sick?

I just read a question in the political section about a special day on Sept. 8th and one poster said that her boys wouldn't want to miss unless they were so sick that they couldn't stand up because they are trying for perfect attendance so that they can get at Toys R Us gift card (sorry for the long run on sentance)

so this got me to thinking...do you send your kids to school when they are sick? and are you worried about the pig flu this year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• depending on how sick they are, i will send them. as for the swine flu, i am not worried about it. more people died last yr from the normal flu, just in the US than people around the world have died from the swine flu. I know that our school is taking extra precautions and i make sure the kids are always washing their hands. the only reason it is in the news now is to take the focus off of the health care issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• As long as they aren't throwing up, running a fever or have diarrhea they are going.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Depends on what you mean by sick. If they have a cough, sniffles, they're still going. Fever, diarrhea, vomiting, they're not going. I'm not particularly worried about H1N1 this year, or the regular flu or whatever else is running through the schools.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If they aren't running a fever, throwing up or couching so hard they can barely breathe then they go to school. My 6yo came down with a cough the day school started last week. She took some cough medicine to keep it under control during class but still goes.
    My kids are rarely that sick. Out of last year I think they missed like 2 days for being too sick to go. The other days were because of weather and doctor appointments. My oldest had perfect attendance all but 1 quarter. My 6yo only missed days for doctor appointments and weather (I refused to take them to school because the temp was -30F and we walk).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think if a child has anything more than sniffles a parent should keep them home. It's not fair to the other children and their families for you to send your sick child to school and get those children and their families (who may have infants, elderly, or weak immune systems) sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• No and No.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• sniffles they go...

anything more they stay home. and are relegated to the couch for that entire day (there have been some 'miraculous' recoveries)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• If my child has a fever, is vomiting, or has diahrrea, then I keep them home.
    If they have a regular cold or stuffy sinuses from allergies or seasonal changes, then they go to school.
    I make sure they always have plenty of water, I give them Tylenol before school if they complain of a headache (they are menstrual) and I care for them when they come home, but they are usually so full of energy.
    My youngest has had a head cold since the weather changed and I've been giving her Tylenol and a decongestant, but the school nurse called me this AM and asked me to pick her up because she was lethargic. Her temp is 99.1, she isn't coughing, vomiting, or having diahrrea, just feeling miserable from the head cold.
    We stopped at CVS and I bought stronger head cold medicine and a waterless vaporizer for her.
    She sounds better, has more energy, her nose is runny, still no fever, and she is happy.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2009