dressing for my size?

Since having my DD I realize I am not just "chubby" anymore, I'm " large"
and to make matters worse ...I'm short.
I've joined a gym , but in the meantime I'd still like to dress for my current size..does anyone have any tips?
What's "hot" and "stylish" , also appropriate for a bigger girl to wear nowadays?? Can anyone suggest a few staple pieces i should own until I shed some of this weight.

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 8:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Ashley - I'm large too, but have no problem finding stuff that is fashionable. Peasant blouses are really hot right now, paired with a nice pair of jeans and some ballerina flats or sandals, it is a nice look. Also try a cute colored t-shirt with one of those long, multicolored scarves. I found a cute one at Payless of all places, paired it with a green cardigan and tank top, looked great. If you need fashionable clothes try The Avenue, they have cute, cute stuff and it doesn't look like old lady "fat" clothes. I'd stay away from the maxi-dress trend, that just doesn't look good on a larger frame. If you need dressier looks, try a classic pair of black slacks and a nice printed blouse. Staple pieces should mix and match, a nice pair of black pants, some classic jeans, a few nice t-shirts, don't be afraid of color! Don't wear teeny-tiny accesories. Chunky jewelry, bracelets and hoop earrings work well on a larger girl.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Also remember to keep your purse in perspective as well. I've had some luck at Kohls finding a few cute pieces that won't break the bank. One cut that seems flattering on big girls is anything with an empire waistline and sometimes the "Wrap" look shirts help to draw the eye in to the waist making it look smaller.
    PigpenMom

Answer by PigpenMom at 9:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Try Fashion Bug, it's like Layne Bryant but affordable and younger. As for what to wear, easier to list what not to - don't wear shoes with ankle straps, don't wear capris, and avoid the empire waist peasant tops that make everyone look pregnant. Avoid anything that makes your body or legs look shorter, like high-calf boots or long tunicy tops under shorter vests, if it's dividing you into more than 2 sections, don't do it. Also, stay far away from cap sleeves and "girly t's". Even if they're the right size they'll make your arms look bigger than they really are.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• ya----no way on the tees.i like capris but thats just me.i also noticed that when i wear a top it seems to be better if it has print.gathered at the top...no empire waist...i like lane bryant but im also 50.my middle daughter is a hair dresser and i tell you with her anything goes.but she gets her clothes at hot topic...she says she does well at target in the maternity section.i never had.she is full breasted and loves the breasts but she wears good bras.she does get them at lane bryant they are expensive....i am small so i dont care so much...good luck
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Hi Ashleyroseg, you are not large just one of the many full figured women that haven't learned how to look fabulous at her size. I am a fashion consultant for many women just like you and I would be happy to share info with you as well. If you are interested in having a private consultation I do these via. I don't charge for the service as my business is selling clothes. There is no obligation to buy but the option is always available. Contact me directly if you would like my help with your need.
    fotocel

Answer by fotocel at 12:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2009