Would you REALLY allow a small child to go hungry just because they did not like something you cooked?

Is your ego so easily bruised (because your child didn't like whatever it was you cooked) that you would allow a child to have a grumbling tummy? Do you ever allow YOURSELF to go hungry? Do you know what it feels like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't let ANYONE go hungry, doesn't matter what age they are. I have also not gone hungry when I don't like something. I think it is just wrong to not feed a child because they don't like something that is being made.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Well I always cook what they like. If they choose not to eat it, oh well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Depends on the age
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't think its much of an "ego" problem. I guess some parents are trying to teach their LO a lesson. As in "if you dont eat whats on your plate, than you will go to bed hungry." Thats what i gather from it. BUT i don't do that. If they don't eat what i cooked, i offer them something else. I will leave it on the table until they decide they will eat it.
    2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 8:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I always cook something that my kids like. Tonight we had breakfast for supper, eggs, hashbrowns, bacon and toast. My 6yo didn't want any eggs, so he just had bacon and hashbrowns. There is always something offered that they like, but if they choose not to eat it, I'm not cooking a whole separate meal.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• depends on the age
    the older kids learned to like stuff because i was not a short order cook
    i did not make them eat everything, but i asked then to try everything
    but if they choose not to eat much dinner they do not get snacky sweet stuff after
    the older boy trys that all the time, he has a sweet tooth, if we let him he would not eat dinner "because he does not like it" and then a hour after dinner he would shove his face full of root beer, ice cream, cookies and the junk stuff which is fine if he gets something of value in

so yes, i do think it is ok for child who does not est dinner (with a few different things on plate) to not have anything they want to eat instead

these children are 13 and 9

these are not young kids...i have a toddler and some days i will try anything to get her to eat
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Wow. Umm, it isn't really so much about ego than it is about being firm. I have never served anything that my 3 year old didn't like. There have been, though, plenty of nights where she was being stubborn and didn't want to eat it because she wanted chips, cookies or some other kind of junkfood instead. Do you suggest I give in to her not eating the healthy meal and let her eat junkfood? Let me write this down in my Cafemom book of parenting advice.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yes, I have gone hungry...and no, I don't consider this to be an ego bruising thing. Children will eat if they are hungry, they are so wonderful that way. They aren't like adults and make themselves eat just because. If they are hungry, they will eat if there is food on the table. I don't ever force them to eat. I know what they like, and just because this week they hate it, that isn't going to phase me. It is their choice - even with infants, in fact. They will refuse the breast/bottle when they are full. They will eat when they are hungry. Don't make eating such an issue of wrong and right, good or bad. All will work out just fine - with the exception, of course, of a child that has severe food allergies or is very sick. That would be a different scenario, naturally.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 8:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• never! it isnt as much of an issue if the baby is under 12 months old and breastfeeding or drinking formula which is their main source of nutrition. if my son refuses a meal (like he did tonight lol) I just give him something else I know he likes! I offered him angel hair pasta, but he didnt like the texture and refused it. I have him some toast and a muffin and he was all good. better than nothing! and he was happy and got full!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If my kids don't eat what I make for dinner then they don't eat dinner. I don't make something else for them. But I also don't let them go hungry. They always get a bedtime snack. Usually it it something of their choosing but if they don't eat dinner then I choose what they eat for the snack. Where as they would choose nilla wafers, teddy grahams, or something of that sort I make sure they have a yogurt and some fruit or something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2009