What is the proper way to ask someone for more money for rent?

My sister moved in with us in March '08, she couldn't afford to live where she was living anymore. So as a good sister we took her and her husband in. We lived in a 2 BR townhouse with our son. So our son slept in our room. Parking then became an issue so we decided to buy a 5 BR house. (My DH had an awesome job-well paid) Well in March '09 my DH was laid off and is making less than half of what he used to make. We are now struggling. They don't seem to see how badly we are and complain about how hot it is in the house. (77 degrees) But we can't afford a $500.00 electricity bill. So my question is...
How do I ask her to pay more rent? I would like her to pay an extra $200/month
Please help. Any tips would really help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• Tell her you need more rent $ because you dont have as much money as you did when you all moved in together. You need the money or she and her hubby cant look for their own place. that you don't want them to move out but you don't want to have to find a smaller place either. You want all of you to stay living there. goo luck
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Do you have a written agreement? Trust me when I say that money can destroy a family.

Have a family conference of all the adults and figure out the group budget. Food, utilities, rent. Between the four of you, figure out what you can cut. $500 a month electricity? Good lord!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It is time to present her with a lease.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009