Anyone have a child around 8 or 9 that has gotten their period?

My daughter is 8 and she started developing adult body odor at 5 at 7 she grew underarm hair...enough that we do shave it. Now at 8 she has hair "down there" and is developing breasts. I just wonder if someone else out there could shed some light on this matter for me. I never expected this to happy THIS early. My main concern is that she can't even take a shower alone yet and am worried about her staying clean. How do I answer the infamous question....but why do we have periods? Did your child go through this and how did you handle it? Thanks everyone for your help

OSUbuckeyefan1

Asked by OSUbuckeyefan1 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• you answer her honestly. shes old enough to grasp general concepts. i think it is much wiser to give your own children information than to leave them dwindling in curiosity land with their friends! Personally all of my female family members mostly cousins have started puberty at 9, i dont know what it is, but i think it is definitely starting younger with this generation. just make sure as uncomfy as it may be for you to leave the window for communication open!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My sister went through puberty early and got her period at 9. My mom just had to keep on her about getting clean. Also this is the best time to help her learn to care for her body, before she starts her period. I actually would start talking about puberty now, so that when it happens she won't be soo shocked.
    I would also buy a book about puberty for girls and let her read it and discuss it with er.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• She can't take a shower alone at 8?
    Anyway, I'm a firm believer in hormones in chicken and other meat and milk causes girls to develop way early.
    Look into it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I was only 10 when I got my period...There were only like 3 or 4 other girls in my class that had gotten theres that early though.I'm 22 now. I have read in a couple articles where most girls wont start there period until they reach atleast 100lbs. now,but I don't know how true that really is. Just talk to your daughter-let her know she can always come to you with any questions or concerns,and really push the issue of how importent it is to wash herself REALLY good-especially once she starts her period.
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I've also heard that it is the hormones they feed to the dairy cows. If and when I have a girl, she will only be fed organic milk just in case lol
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• agree completely with the meat hormones and in milk. it may be too late but it will definitely cut down on the body odors and emotional swings. look into it online, and start omitting chicken, dairy and cut down on the beef. chicken is so full of hormones it would shock you.
    organic is the way to go if you can afford it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:16 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• There is a book called Body Drama. I would highly recomend you get it for her. It covers everything from periods, bras and skid marks in your undies. It is very well written, and I think it would help her a great deal. Google the book and read a bit about it. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Depends on the area you live in too. Tests were done on area drinking water for prescription drugs. San Francisco had the highest levels of estrogen in their water. Curious isn't it? If you live near a large cattle or pig farm that uses hormones in their livestock, the unmetabolized hormones pass out through the feces & urine and soak into the ground contaminating groundwater.

Have you talked to your dr about your concerns?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:08 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Thank you all for your helpful advice I truly appreciate it. As far as the Anonymous poster is concerned she can take a shower but as far as really washing her hair and getting it real clean I prefer to do it...that wasn't a very nice comment no wonder your "anonymous". shrugs shoulders

I firmly believe it was from giving her Walmart milk from the time she was 1. We've stopped buying their milk.

I will check out all the wonderful and helpful hints by you all. Again thank you so much.
    OSUbuckeyefan1

Answer by OSUbuckeyefan1 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Not personally, but my friends step daughter got hers at 9 and her biomom didn't explain anything to her. My friend and I did it all. There is a book by American Girl Doll for girls going through puberty or close to it. You are just going to have to explain it. Once pubic hair begins to grow, it is usually about a year before the period starts.

I don't believe that a girl has to weigh 100 lbs before they will get their period, if that were the case there would be an awful lot of women who never get a period. I got mine at 12 and I weighed less than 80 lbs. I also don't believe that hormones in milk has anything to do with when a girl will get her period. It just happens and when a girl gets her period look to when you got yours, it should be right around the same age.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2009