does anyone have a child that has failure to thrive?

My son is not gaining weight nor growning. He has a lot of allergies too. The doctors don't have a clue what is going on yet.

jen020309

Asked by jen020309 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't have a child with failure to thrive, but I care for them. It unfortunately is a lot of trials of different formulas and formula strengths to find what works best for your ds. I would recommend seeing a pediatric gastroenterologist, if you aren't already. Have they had you try a formula that is already broken down so there is little digestion that is needed from you ds?
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My first dd was 6 lbs 1oz when she was was born she got down to 5 11 at the hospital for the first 6 weeks she didnt gain an oz. I was breastfeeding at 3 weeks I switched to the bottle and breast and at 5 weeks went to just the bottle. The dr said if I wanted to really help my baby just try the formula. At week 7 she had gained a pound. She did that until she was 2 months old. Nobody could believe the turnaround she had. But those first 6 weeks I thought I was going to lose my mind. I cried constantly. How old is your baby and what is the story if you dont mind. Also please let me know how all this comes out. I wish you the best. I know how awful this is.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Has he had an endoscopy? Sounds just like my son who was diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis in december, after an entire year of testing and what not.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't know his age but u should try giving him some pediasure for now until u guys have more info.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 9:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• my friend had this issue and it turned out to be a kidney problem. If your doctor is just leaving you with "I don't know" its really time to see another doctor and get a referral to a specialist. It really can be a lot of things so its important to get a very thorough check and strongly advocate for your child.

mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My DD has been diagnosed with FTT. She's 2 years, 3 months, and hasn't hit the 20 pound mark. She's on 3 pediasures a day! She's had tests run; no allergies; nothing wrong with her that they can find. But she's healthy, just hasn't gained the weight. I think she's just little, and I think the 3 pediasures a day are just to make me go insane LOL; she drinks them, doesn't eat her real food, she's not hungry! And then, she is hyper like crazy for an hour or so after she finishes her drink, and throws tantrums and screams for no reason. IDK about the 3 pediasures a day anymore, but I'm going to keep it up until the dr. says otherwise.
    As long as the tests all come back negative, and there's nothing "wrong" with your LO, I wouldn't worry about it, or give pediasure for a while and see if they gain. Something that doesn't have as much sugar, I think, is Boost Kid's Essentials, it's next to the pediasure.
    Good luck!
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 10:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• depending on how old your son is... i would take the advice of others and try pediasure or simliar drinks to get the nutrients and calories he needs. if you are breastfeeding that should help too. sometimes they seem like they stop growing then next thing you know they have a growth spurt. is he lethargic, no energy and fussy? then maybe something is wrong, if not do'nt worry to much
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 11:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My daughter was diagnosed with FTT when she was a few weeks old. She has autism (is high functioning) and has Sensory Integration Disorder. She was on a high (24) calorie formula until she was 2.5, and then was tube fed boost until she was 8. She is 11 now, and is finally approaching her "ideal" weight. It took lots of years and patience to get where she's at.
    Keep on the doctors to keep looking. Ask about supplementing with something high calorie that your child can eat (pediasure, ensure, boost).
    Good luck to you!!
    6littlestitches

Answer by 6littlestitches at 12:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I am right there with you. I have a 6 month old who is 14 lbs missed all her milestones cant poop on her own has breathing issues trouble eating and severe hypotonia. We are seein 8 different drs and therapist (speech and physical) and run numerouse tests and they cant seem to find anything! But you can look at my poor little sweetie and see she is not ok! We did find a milk protein allergy so she is on similac alimentum which has helped her gain weight, but otherwise we cant seem to find anything! How old is your son?
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 1:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• my son was the same way. he was stuck at 19 pounds for almost a year. i tried the pediasure and that didnt work. He was acctually pooping all of the nutrients and fat out of it. My son is also failure to thrive. I started him on carnation instant breakfast in july and he drinks it exclusively. Since i started giving him that he has reached as of now 23 pounds. my doctor also prescribed him an appetite stimulant called Periactin. He did that last week but with just giving him that for a few days ive already seen alittle bit of improvement in his appetite. my son has been to the gi and they have run all kinds of tests on him and even done an upper gi endoscopy procedure and have yet to find anything...my son is 26 months old and 23 pounds as of now..
    lovinmygrunt

Answer by lovinmygrunt at 7:59 AM on Nov. 24, 2009