bugs in the pantry

I cleaned our pantry out the other day and there were lots of those little worm things that get into your food all over the bottom of the shelves. I threw away all the old food but kept the newer things. I cleaned out the drawers with a vacuum and with chlorox wipes so there was nothing left. Today I looked at one of the drawers and there was a few of them. How do I get rid of them for good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Be sure to wipe every surface. If you can remove the shelves and clean the edges this would be good. I used bug spray around the edges to get into the crevices. Your new stuff may be contaminated, too. I opened every dry food box and bag and examined it. Then thoroughly taped it shut again. I also put everything in plastic bags, so that I could see if something came out of the box since it would be trapped in the bag. I also wiped the top and bottom of every can. There are these little disks that you can get that catch crawlies and some that make them so they can't reproduce- our exterminator put one of those on the shelf where I found bugs last time. Hardware stores may carry them. At least put the sticky stuff around to see if you got everything. You may have to throw out all dried goods. I hope not. I avoided that by checking the boxes and by putting each in a sealed plastic bag.

Answer by Bmat at 9:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Tell me when you find out. I've tried everything and I still get them. Whole Foods has sticky traps that I use but I still need to throw out the odd thing now and then.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Ive heard that freezing your flour is a way to prevent them since most of the time thats where they come from- Im not sure if that works though because I haven't had that problem thank God, I think I would go on a tossing everything edible out of the cabinet spree! lol
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Make sure you have airtight containers. Take flour, sugar, etc out of the paper containers and put in airtight containers and make sure the containers are closed tightly. Wash down with a mixture of bleach and water, use enough bleach in the water that you smell the bleach. Wipe down all surfaces every couple of months after that with the Clorox wipes, you can even give this chore to a child to do. Otherwise, I have no idea what to tell you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• mealy worms, so much fun in the pantry.
    http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf727479.tip.html
    the bugs come in with your food stuffs and you are not using it up quickly enough. thus creating an environment where they can mature.
    nice to know they usually get all ate up in the egg stage, no?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Also, for some reason, they do not like spearmint flavored gum-like Wrigley's. My gram taught me this one. Just lay a stick on the shelves and in your flous bin. If you can keep the kids from grabbing them.
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 10:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2009