Have to squeeze boob while pumping...

I am a breastfeeding working mom. I have a Medela Freesyle double pump. I have never been able to use both sides at once though because I have to "squeeze" the breast I'm pumping in order to get the milk out. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Does that mean it's not working correctly? Or maybe I need a different size nipple shield? My son is 4 1/2 months old and I've been pumping for 3 months but I just kind of just thought that you have to squeeze while pumping but then I don't know how people would use the double pump. Any info would be great... Thanks!

bxp10070

Asked by bxp10070 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think for some people it's normal to need to have to massage the breast to get milk to come out.
    If your pump only has the hard cups... I would buy some of the soft ones they sell, they are much nice.
    And then get a bra so you can pump hands free so then you can double pump and express with your hands at the same time.
    Do you feel like it has enough suction? or is it more of your body thinking it's too mechanical to let down?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• You should not have to squeeze all the time. Try getting shields in a different size.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It's not really a let down problem. My milk starts flowing pretty quickly. But I have to constantly squeeze through the pumping. I sometimes suspect a suction problem but I hear Medela is one of the best and I have it turned all the way up. I literally have to grab under the breast with a c-cupped hand and squeeze throughout the pumping. The skin on my breasts seem a little streched so that maybe it doesn't hold the breast as taught as it needs to be, but they don't seem unusually saggy or anything. So most people do not have to squeeze while pumping? I have the soft shields but have never replaced them. I wonder if that would help... And maybe I should go for a smaller size. I don't really know.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I did this too. I think the pump is just not as efficient as your baby is.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I did this too. :)
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 9:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Call the company... they can help trouble shoot. And if the pump isn't older than a year they will replace it for you (they replaced mine) if they think its something wrong with the pump.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Good job on the breastfeeding! Not all pumps are suitable for all women. I have a medela double pump that I love but I do know people who just werent "compatible", for lack of a better word, with this pump. I would try troubleshooting with the company and if that doesnt work, maybe try a different model.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:32 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Thank you for all your help. I think the breast shield might not be the correct fit. I have contacted Medela and I am hoping they will give me advise on wether I need a bigger or smaller size. Hopefully that will work. I am really excited at the thought of not having to squeeze all the time. Yay, I might actually be able to eat on my lunch break! I can't believe I've been doing this for months and thought that it was supposed to be that way.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009