How much is your 19-month old talking?

My daughter just had her well-visit yesterday, and her pedi seems to think she's a little behind in speech. She says like 4-5 words, but that's it. I'm thinking this is quite normal and she'll catch up eventually, but I just don't know. She says she should be saying around 20 words by now. Does anyones 19 month talk that much???

monseymom

Asked by monseymom at 9:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter said A LOT more then 20 words when she was 19 months. but i love to talk and im assuming so does she.. Every kid is different some dont talk till they are 2 some b4 then.. some catch up some dont. if its bad they might tell u to get some help for her. if it gets too late and she has to go to school the school will get her some help.. but dont worry just give her time and hers a hint to get her to talk.. if u know she wants something MAKE her say it.. she wants the cookie she has to say cookie she wants a doll she has to say doll.. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I also love to talk. My son was speaking full sentences at this age so I dunno. She already has a file at a therapy agency (she was born premature and needed a bit of physical). I'm thinking that the pedi is overreacting a bit, but then again, what do I know?
    monseymom

Answer by monseymom at 9:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My 21 month old says a lot of words and is startinjg to string them into pairs. we made a list - at 18 months she knew 25 words, but used maybe 10 regularly, Now she says over 50 and uses 20 or so regularly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My daughter is 18.5 months, says about 40 words, and is picking new ones up daily. Today it was pizza :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• my daughter is 20 months and she has well over 100 words. She regularly uses about 50 of them. She can say 2 and 3 word sentences.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 12:34 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My son doesn't have that many clear words. He has maybe seven (probably more that I can't think of.) It's just something that you gotta be able to sit and work with them on words.
    ke11yturtle

Answer by ke11yturtle at 7:47 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My son is 22 months old, at the age of 19 months he was able to say a handleful of words, but just recently started to spew out words left and right and pick them up easier than before. he know also says two word sentences like >> here go, im funny<< .
    I also have a 5 yr old who didnt really start talking so much til he was closer to two. But he's fine and he talks very well now.
    every child is diff, every child has a diff learning curve. just because the dr says she isnt talking as much as the "norm", means nothing. when shes ready, she'll start picking up the words and blabbing all day.

hang in there
    jenilove

Answer by jenilove at 3:18 PM on Sep. 4, 2009