Has your child had a broken bone that had to be set?

My 5 yr old has to have her arm set Friday and I am so upset about her being put under. They aslo said she would be in pain when she woke up so I am worried about that. How did it go with yours?

Chick

Asked by Chick at 9:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Health

• I can tell you one thing it hurts like hell. sorry to say it that way but it does...... My son has broken 3 bones in his body and he is 8.... I refused to let them put him under the second and third time.... I broke my arm when i was 23 and they put me under to set it and when i woke up it hurt so bad and then when i was 27 i broke my colar bone and wasnt put under and it hurt alot less... i did some research on it and the meds that they use to put u under causes more pain then they help....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My daughter broke her arm in first grade and she broke it in both bones and it pushed one bone on top of the other, she was in an INSANE amount of pain but once she had surgery (put under and bones set, closed, with the posibility of having to open her arm to set the bones with pins but turned out to not be needed) She was a whole different girl and in way less pain, though Im sure she still had a little. Usually, (not always) the pain is less once the bones are put back where they go. My dd was in surgery for about an hour and 1/2 and on her way home within 3 hours of surgery. It really was better, not worse, Im telling you the 24 hours before surgery was total HELL, she couldnt stop throwing up from the pain to keep the pain meds in her body, poor baby. Im sure he will be fine, good luck and if you can get a waterproof cast I recommend it, that was the best and worth the 30 bucks the insurance didnt cover.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I had to have my arm set when I was like 10, but my mom wasn't allowed in the room with me because she was pregnant with my sister. I remember them putting me under and when i woke up they were finishing putting the new cast on. There was no pain at all. I don't know if I was rare or what but as I said when I woke up I didn't feel anything there was no pain....it felt like it did before they put me to sleep.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 4:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009