How can I wean my toddler off the bottle?

Now, she's 19 months old, and has been drinking from a sippy cup & cups with straws for a few moths now. But the ONLY way she will go to sleep is if she has a bottle with warm milk in it. I know I never should have let her get used to that, but BFing in the middle of the night leads to baby falling asleep at the breast & so on & so forth. How do I wean her off the bottle completely and still have her go to sleep for naps and at night? She throws a tantrum and has literally cried for hours because we gave her a bottle before bed, not at bedtime. I don't know what to do!

RorysMom119

Asked by RorysMom119 at 9:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• the only way now is to let her just cry it out, it is just as bad to fall asleep after a bottle and not brushing and falling asleep on the breast.... they are both equally bad for her. just give her a sippy of water before bed and let her cry it out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I went through the same thing...though with a sippy cup of milk.

We slowly watered down her milk a little more each night, to where now it's just water (with her fluoride treatment actually).

Now as we're approaching potty training, and I'm trying to lower the amount of water at night to keep her from having to pee in the middle of the night.

It seems like life at this age is just one tough transition after another. I still scratch my head and wonder how the heck I'm going to fully take away the night sippy-cup for just a normal cup of water on the bedside table.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• you should tire her out all day especially when it getting close to bed time so that she will be so sleepy n fall asleep faster. the crying also takes out alot of energy n help out. i know its hard but when u are ready to do it, make sure that you don't stop, if you give in to it after staring, you will be starting from day one all over again. I went through this and when my hubby would give him a bottle I would get mad, because it just threw all the hard work out the window & we needed to go through more days of crying. I just decided to throw away the bottles and he was weaned in about a week. Good luck :)
    jenny_13

Answer by jenny_13 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• my son was addicted to the night time bottle. I started giving him a sippy cup of milk (which he now doesn't drink). I got sick of washing all of his bottles and decided to pack them up one day. He hasn't noticed or seemed to mind.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Thank you sooooo much for all the help! I think I'll just pack up the bottles till Baby #2 gets here! She's spending the weekend with her uncle, so hopefully she won't notice when she gets home that they're gone! And water down the milk till it's just water. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!
    RorysMom119

Answer by RorysMom119 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• They say as long as you give them water it is okay for now. Just keep trying. We are still in that phaase and our daughter is also 19 months. She loves her baba way to much. Soon I might just do what my sister bloomsr did and pack em up.
    darcyk10

Answer by darcyk10 at 3:42 AM on Sep. 9, 2009