Breastpump shield fitting...

I just posted a question about breastpumping... Thank you for all your replies. I think my problem is an incorrect fitting breast shield. So my nipple fills the tube and touches the back part of the pump. Does this mean I need a bigger or smaller breast shield? I always thought the size was the circumference of the shield but maybe it is the length of the tube? Thanks again...

bxp10070

Asked by bxp10070 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say that you need a smaller one. The size is for the circumference of the tube, not the out part that cups the breast.
    HomeschoolingJa

Answer by HomeschoolingJa at 10:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• if it fills the small tube id get a bigger one, i had a medela and it had a larger space in the small tube part and the shield fit perfectly over my areolas
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i would call the lactation nurse, and ask her. you could even most likely go in and they could look and help you find the right size
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• A lactation consultant is always a good idea!
    But I would say larger. If it fills it, your current one is probably pinching you and causing you to not be able to express as much milk as you could with a properly fitting shield. Go to http://www.pumpinpal.com/
    I was able to read their directions for measurement for their 3 sizes of the Super Shields Plus, and once I purchased a set of 2, I did not have any issues after that. It was so much more comfortable! Good luck!
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 11:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• See an IBCLC or a LLL leader. They can fit you, and in most cases, provide you with one that fits properly.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2009