Why do people throw around the term "bad mom" so frivilously?

I don't get it. If there is another mother doing something someone else doesn't like she is instantly a bad mom. Why??? please enlighten me!

Jesusfanatic

Asked by Jesusfanatic at 10:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Didn't your mother ever tell you that if someone calls you a name, it's because they are insecure about that very thing? That's why!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Well i know that, I'm not the one being called a bad mom i just hate it because people need to grow up. but about my momma, no she calls me stuff like that all the time, no skin off my nose!
    Jesusfanatic

Answer by Jesusfanatic at 11:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Because so many women here think it's their way or no way...(i.e. you must not love your baby if you don't do things the way I do them").

And yes, it is generally insecurity on the part of the person throwing the term around.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• if its just thrown around, based on opinion, and there are no facts or anything,
    i completely believe that its just to hurt someone.
    i mean, think about it, our children mean the WORLD to us, wed do anything for them, we gave them LIFE, thats how jerks could cut us the deepest.
    it doesnt matter if its true or not, if someone called me a bad mom, it wouldnt effect me because i know im a GREAT mom, but i would realize that theyre really takin a low blow at trying to really kick me where it hurts.
    Samanthao2006

Answer by Samanthao2006 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• People like to judge. It makes them feel better.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree, anytime I didn't do something that my mother in law said I should do, I was instantly labeled a "bad" mother. Every mother does things diffrently and doesn't deserved to be judged by anyone. The people who scare the hell out of me are the ones who claim that they are perfect parents and never do anything wrong!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It's insecurity.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I have been called that several times, but I would instant ask, how am i hurting them? not, how would you do it? not what am I doing wrong? but how am i hurting them. that way, if there is a real threat, it can be communicated. Otherwise, your way is your way, and my way is my way. get over it, my child will survive and be fine. There are too many people out there who think just because someone, once told them they are a good mother, they try to make there presense known, cuz they want, no NEED to hear it again. They NEED to feel like they are better than you. Thats all. I have been told that by other women who weren't even parents, and always pasted judgement on everyother mother. So when she started to do it to me, I cut her off. Half of my family, I don't talk to now because of this, and yes my children are doing great. And I was able to take that negativity away from their lives! what a plus!!!!!!!!!
    nancy_curtis

Answer by nancy_curtis at 11:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Why do people throw around the term "bad mom" so frivilously?

It is, quite possibly, because so many moms treat their role woth complete frivolity.

Granted, many people are too quick to judge but, quite frankly I see far more "bad" moms than I do "good". Everything from being completely absent to just being plan pushover in their own homes. Now, I don't go telling ANY mom on here that she is a "bad" mom it's not my place. But, I see plenty of bad moms IRL & on CM. Everyone can't be Mother of the Year. Like everything else in life we aren't ALL the best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• *being a plain pushover
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009