How do you get your child to do their homework?

My dd is doing very well in school, and loves to help the other kids in her class who need help and who don't understand something (she is only in kindergarten), but when she comes home it is like pulling teeth to get her to do her homework, which is a lot, she understands it she just doesn't want to do it, I give her a break time when we get home because she is in school for 5 hours with only a 2o minute break to eat a snack and play so when we get home I let her eat, and play, then its homework time, it takes us about 3 hours to get her to do 1 hour's worth of work...ugh..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd give her a break after school (running free outside to get some of the wiggles out), then have her sit at a kitchen (or nearby) table to do it while prepping you are dinner. That way you are close if she needs assistance, and she is close enough where you can watch her do something idependently if need be (i.e. coloring). Give her a set time to be finished by, and if she isn't she loses something.

Is there a way to make it fun? Or maybe set motivational things (i.e. if you get it done by 4:30 you get to pick out a small toy from a "small toy basket" - stuff you get from the dollar store or cheap things from Michael's -- or even a weekly reward if she follows it all week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Why does she have an hours worth of homework in Kindergarten? My dd has maybe 20min?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Where are you located? What school is she attending? That sounds crazy. I thought my DDs had a lot of homework but it sounds your DD has even more in kindergarten year.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 11:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• OP- I am in San Bernardino County in California, yes it is a lot of homework, here they are required to do more in Kinder, it is really like 1st grade, she was required to go to the state preschool and they did a lot of work in there too, but our school district has very high test scores though, and she is doing very well, just doesn't want to do homework, they don't get normal recess like schools used to either, they even have to do history and science already too, the kids who didn't go to preschool are really really behind
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• As soon as she walks in the door, sit her down to do it. No breaks, play time, anything until it's done, unless her brain gets tired. You'll be able to tell if it does. And if that happens, set a back up time up, like directly after dinner.
    ChazznRoccosmom

Answer by ChazznRoccosmom at 11:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'll just tell you what we do, my son is in 2nd grade, but he doesn't have homework every day because of the type of school he's in. When he gets home he gets to watch 1 cartoon and have a snack, after that he does his homework. If he finishes before dinner he gets to watch his second cartoon (he gets two when he gets home in the afternoon). If he doesn't finsh by dinner then no cartoon. If he doesn't finish in an appropriate amount of time after dinner, then no cartoons (or video games) tomorrow. So that's what we do: if he doesn' do it, I take one of his fav. things away for a day.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 12:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• when my 1st grader comes home from school he eats his snack then it's homework time. If he whines or complain about it then i tell him that he won't be playing with this or that or going to be able to do this and that etc...
    funmommy123

Answer by funmommy123 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• An hours worth of homework in Kinder? WOW! That's insane! The kid is going to be burned out from homework before it actually starts! Where I'm from, they say that about 10 minutes of homework per grade....so 1st is like 10-15min, 5th is like 50 min-to 60. Don't think them having that much homework in Kinder is good for them. They don't have much of an attention span to sit there that long.
    Bunnee

Answer by Bunnee at 1:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My kids normally have theirs done before they get home so we dont have any problems. When they do have any its less than 30 minutes and they do it as soon as they get home. We have online access to check their grades and see if any assignments are missing so i know when they say they dont have homework they are telling the truth they know i can just look it up.

We started off with doing it right away when they started school when they got home they were allowed to get a drink and a snack but had to sit to do any work right away.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• when mine get home from school the first thing they do is sit down at the table and get all their homework done. takes about 30 minutes and then they get to 'run free' til dinnertime.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2009