Nap time troubles!! HELLLLLPPP

My son will be 4 in October. We have been fighting with him to take his naps for a few weeks now. We read him a story and lay him down and he plays in his room or comes out of his room and gets into things for 3 hours before he will fall asleep. He goes to bed at 8:30 to 9 every night and is up by 7 at the latest.. Is this enough sleep for a toddler? Should I stop trying to give him a nap even though he acts tired and cranky if he doesn't have one? When did your child stop taking their nap and how much sleep do they get a day??

vanessabrown

Asked by vanessabrown at 11:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My dd stopped taking naps about the same time. Any time you are having a struggle like that over taking a nap you should just give it up. The way I look at it is if she needs a nap she will probably take one on her own and if she doesnt she wont.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Have him start a "rest time". And at least take a half hour or hour to rest. IDK, maybe lay on the couch under a blanket and watch a calming cartoon. I know, the TV isn't everyone's favorite thing, but it worked with my nephew at that age. And lots of times he dozed off.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I relented on naptime with Ellyse and we've had 'quiet time' which has worked out really well... she stays on her bed, but can play a little quietly. Mostly she READS. At four. I'm pretty stoked about quiet time... she tends to forget or chooses not to come out after half an hour.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 2:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• instead of a nap do 'quiet time' on the couch or somewhere comfy and quiet.

they have to stay there for an hour - no ifs ands or buts

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:49 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My son when is is not at preschool and is home like on the weekends he rarely takes a nap but I do try to insist him having quiet time or at the least play a quiet activity.
    Laceymay

Answer by Laceymay at 8:04 PM on Sep. 6, 2009