For people who are in law enforcement...

So, my DH is considering a career in law enforcement (patrol officer) and we've been going through the rigamaroll of all the paperwork and all that, but we've been a little concerned about the "background check" they do... DH has some less-than-stellar arrest history (once for possession of a tiny amount of pot, twice for bench warrants on unpaid fines) and he sold pot for awhile when he was a teenager. But it was all four years ago or more, and he's been clean and full-time employed since. So, we are wondering if the BG check will disqualify him - they polygraph so we don't want him to lie, but we need to know if he is at all eligible so we know whether he ought to spend the time pursuing it... Any insight, anybody who has gone through it or knows someone who has?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would ask on Yahoo Answers under the Law Enforcement tab.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• an adult felony conviction will probably prevent him from becoming a police officer.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I used to be a cadet when I was 16 and they grilled me hard.I went to the academy and everything.You have to have a clean background.No arrests or anything like that.I have like 3 cousins who are police officers.One is in charge of hiring he is a lieutenant.He is very picky.Why don't you just call,maybe la pd could hire him.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• He didn''t have any adult felonies (no youth felonies either) - just a possession charge when he was nineteen, which he did all the treatment and paid fines for. I was told that recent drug activity is a no no, but that former activity and arrests would be considered on a case-by-case basis. I just want to know HOW they determine it on a case-by-case basis - like, what is a deal breaker and what can be overlooked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2009