Do you feel conceiving more children, in this economic downfall, is socially irresponsible?

Where I work, a regular customer had this conversation with me a few weeks ago and it's been on my mind since.
He asked "How many kids do you have?'
"Two"
He asked "Do you plan on having anymore?"
"No not at the moment," I laughed.
"Good," he said, "there are too many people on the planet anyway"
Yeah it was kinda jerky, and he isn't the nicest guy, afterwhich he went into this schpiel about overpopulation, economy, etc, etc... , but what do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think if you can afford them, then it's your business how many kids you have.
    BobbieB

Answer by BobbieB at 12:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Sounds like you were talking to Holdren. I bet it was Holdren. No if you have the means to have another child do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think that if you have the money to support them without being on PA, a good stable job and lots of love then it really doesnt matter if the economy is crappy or not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• The more people are being laid off, the more time they are spending at home and the more sex people are having = more babies. The economy will always be fluctuating so why make another excuse for poor timing to have a kid. If everyone waited for the right time there would be like what, 5 children in the world? haha.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think its irresponsible to TRY for a kid if you don't have the means to support it, but unplanned pregnancies will happen and if you have to scrounge to make ends meet that's fine
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I read somewhere that people were actually NOT having more kids due to the economy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Less than 5% of all pregnancies are planned. I personally had two kids while on birth control....lol. The thing is most people do not plan on having kids when they do, so what do you do tell everyone to stop having sex? I mean my grandmother and her 7 siblings were born during the Great Depression. Did it suck ?yes it did Did they survive? Yes they did. Did they have to cut back and do things differently? Yes they did. They only thing different about now and then is that no one is willing to help each other. My Grandmother remembers during the depression that everyone in their neighbor hood would get together, bring out what musical instruments they had and what ever food they had make a bonfire and just have fun. If some one was sick they all pitched in together and made sure their children were taken care of. People do not do that anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• LOL - There are so many pregnant people in my hometown...In fact today I was talking to a pregnant mom at the park about this very thing...If you have the means to take care of your family - then go for it.
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 12:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The overpopulation argument isn't just crazy talk, IMO. Our planet can barely support the number of people on it already, let alone their descendents indefinitely. I think that it's globally irresposible for us (all developed countries) to live the way we do, regardless of the numbers of kids we have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Did you tell him, that unless more people start having more kids to pay into Social Security, his retirement could suffer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Sep. 3, 2009