Okay I have irregular cycles, but my last period was on July 1 and lasted only 3 days. I have not had a period since and have had unprotected sex with my husband in hopes of conceiving. When I took a pregnancy test a couple of days ago it was negative. Is there any reason it could be a false negative? Should I test again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Do you chart? Do you know when you're ovulating or if you're ovulating at all? Have you spoken with a doctor about your irregular cycles? How long have you been trying to conceive?
    Irregular cycles can mean a lot of things but most of them are related to low hormone production or hormones showing up at the wrong times in your cycle. It could be a thyroid problem since the thyroid hormones act as controller hormones, telling your reproductive system what to do when. It could be that either your estrogen or progesterone levels are off. You may be experiencing anovulatory cycles (when your ovaries don't release an egg).
    If you're under 35 and you've been TTC for at least 12 months, you should request a referral to a fertility specialist. If you're over that age and TTC for at least 6 months, it's time for a referral.
    Cont
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I would retest. Early in the morning. If it still comes up a neg & u haven't started by mid month, make an appt. Bloodwork will give u a def answer. Plus, if ur not, u need to figure out what's going on w/ur cycle. Even if its not regular, that would put u @ nearly 3 months w/out one. GL...hope all is well!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 12:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I never had regular cycles until I talked with my gyn back in 06. I'd diligently tracked my cycles for the previous year, noting the start of each cycle and the last day of bleeding on a calendar. I didn't pay much attention to the length of each one so when she counted out the days, even I was surprised to learn my cycles were 40 to 60 some days long! She wrote a referral to fertility on the spot and also had my thyroid levels tested. I was borderline hypothyroid, not showing any physical symptoms, but 6 weeks after starting hormone replacement meds, I got pregnant. Miscarried almost immediately though. Four months after the miscarriage, I was pregnant with my first son.
    Definitely talk to your doctor! Irregular periods are nothing to shrug off; they're a sign that something's not right and usually it can be corrected pretty easily.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:08 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Whatever you do don't stress your self out.
    Steffy4

Answer by Steffy4 at 2:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2009