Do you have picky eaters or not? What do you think is the reasoning behind this?

If you have a picky eater, do you think it has anything to do with how you 'do' meal time? (if so, how DO you DO meal time?)

If you don't have a picky eater, do you think it has anything to do with how you 'do' meal time? (if so, how DO you DO meal time?)

Are picky eaters born or raised? (generally speaking as all children are different :P)

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 12:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Health

• My DD isnt picky at all, but I think it is based 1) on what they like 2) how they are raised. I think if the child is allowed not to eat certain foods, or not given the chance to try alot of new things than they will be picky. But I also dont have a picky eater so I am just basing that on my sister who eats nothing but mcdonalds and candy because that is what she gets if she doesnt eat her dinner
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I do NOT have picky eaters. In our household they have to take at least 3 bites of everything that is on their plate. EVERYTHING. ...that meas that even if i KNOW they dont like something, but that is what i happen to be making, yes, they still have to take at least 3 bites. My younger son used to hate mashed potatoes. But i kept introducing, kept making him try it and now he loves them! My older son used to hate mac and cheese (i know. weird kid huh. lol) but i kept introducing it and making him take at least 3 bites and now he likes it.
    Now, this doesnt mean that i purposely make foods that i know my kids dont like. I'm not THAT mean. lol. But i'm not going to NOT cook something just because one of my kids doesnt like it. And i'm certainly NOT going to make them something else if the food i make is just fine.

I think picky eaters are (for the most part) raised.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• im super picky it drives my hubby crazy,i dont do red meats i dont like breakfast foods (pancakes yuk! syrup puke!) i can have peanut butter but not jello or the sugar overwhelms me,and dont let me catch you eating pecans or potatoe salad or i wanna puke.my mom NEVER made me anything i didnt like but i naturally love all healthy stuff so i dont see any wrong with what she did,when my sons says he doesnt like it i never make him eat it,if later he wants to try i let him,thats how my mom did it so i see nothing wrong.i dont belive anything works by force i use to hate squash and my mom never made me i tried and tried whenever i wanted and i love it now,so ill do the same for him.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i call it choice not raised
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 12:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• There's nothing "wrong" with being a picky eater
    But it has been proven that you HAVE to introduce different foods to children more then once, if they dont like something, it may not be because of taste. It could be because of texture or smell or even sight. ...If it truly is because of taste then they will continue not to like it (like my youngest still does not like pickles. no matter how many times i get him to try it) ...but if it something other then taste, then reintroduction is an effective way of getting them over their "issue" and get them to actually enjoy what they are eating.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• my oldest was until she got into school and saw her friends eating everything I'd tried to get her to eat

#2 and #3 mimicked big sisters. if one says I don't like it then they all decide they don't like it.

our dinner is at 5pm sharp every night and always has been. we like them to try a bite at least and if they really really hate it then whatever. but encourage them to eat it all.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• All kids go through picky phases. When their whims are catered to, they remain picky; when they are offered a variety of healthy foods¸ eventually they resume eating them. Formula fed babies (this is not being mentioned to create drama, tend to be picker than breastfed babies because breastmilk changes in flavor and texture based on what the mother eats and on the baby’s developmental needs.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Believe it or not, children's taste buds are more developed than adults. As a result, they taste foods with more flavor than us grown folks. That might be one reason for children being picky eaters. It could also be that the child could have socialized into being a picky eater, patterning him or herself after another family member or a friend. Or they just don't like certain foods. I don't like certain foods and would not want to be forced to eat lima beans, peas or kiwi fruit so I never made a big deal if my children did not like a specific food. However, they did have to follow my meal plan for green vegetables, a starch and a protein (in that order of priority). I exposed them to different types of food and encouraged them to try different things. As they grew older they were willing to try foods that at one time they did not like. Also, my mom could not cook eggs to save her life. Me and my siblings hated eggs.
    RosaRosa

Answer by RosaRosa at 8:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2009