Could my 5 week old really be deaf?

He failed both hearing exams during his first week of life, but his pediatrician said he's fine. He doesn't turn his head toward either DH or my voice. He has yet to jump, wake up, or startle to sounds, though his reflexes work fine if you bump his bassinet or touch him while he's sleeping.

Maybe I am in denial, but please someone tell me that he'll pass his next hearing exam. Did your child also show these signs and turn out to have perfect hearing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it doesn't matter... there is no return policy and you will make whatever situation work but trust your gut as his mother yoll know and he's also very young so give him time and all the love he deserves and good luck if there is a problem i think u can start signing aroung 18 mo. but i pray he's fine and just needs time to catch up
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I would get a second opinion from a different ped. If you are noticing that he isn't responding to sounds then that is a red flag. It could be there is nothing wrong, but it is safer to get a second opinion.
    Good luck and my thoughts are with you and your LO.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Just tell yourself that you will love him no matter what. It's difficult but please don't spend your time worrying and just enjoy him :)...babies can learn basic signing at around 9 months old....I've been teaching my daughter just b/c I think it's so neat that they can learn it...good luck and maybe everything will be fine. Just don't stress as hard as it may be ...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My sisters baby didnt pass 2 tests ...they said she was fine. And she could hear, but a few years later they found out she wasnt hearing the way she was supposed to. Had too much water in her ears. Had to get tubes put in to drain it all out and now she will always be behind on her speech development.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:16 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Go with your gut, if your baby doesn't start acknowledging sounds soon, have him tested again. doctors told me my son was deaf, however, he heard airplanes flying overhead and responded to me each time I called his name. As the previous poster stated baby sign is great even for hearing children, it helps them communicate before they can speak anyway.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2009