Spinoff from another question.Is there an age limit for when you can leave your chils in a car alone?

My son is 10 and I have let him wait for me as I go to pay for gas, run in and by a few items. I leave the windows down but take the kids and I started doing this last year when he would say, aw, mom, can I just wait here? I figure as long as he knoes where I am and how to get off of the car then it's ok. Am I breaking the law?

ItsMeGigi69

Asked by ItsMeGigi69 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Wow. My mom always left me in the car. Haha When I was like 9 - up.

My lil grl isn't even 2 and my son is 1 month. I would never leave them in the car without me.
    But, I can see 9 YEARS and up. ;)
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 1:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i dont know if your breaking the law but if one of my friends seen you,she would call the cops so fast.is it wrong idk i think if you can take "the kids" why not him is he not a kid cause he is ten,or is he just a burden? about the windows down idk if i would feel safe anyone can just take him.i wouldnt do it but i dont think your awful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The cops told me that if the child is under 12 they are taking you to jail. Thats only if your reported though babe but for your safety and peace of mind I wouldn't take the chance! Take it from me, it's not worth it.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• oops sorry I was trying to type too faast I take the keys with me not "the kids" and I meant child not chils!
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 1:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i think it depends on the state. In california an 11 yr old is allowed to babysit. ...so i would think that around that age it would be okay.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I WOULD never even think about leaving my 1 mo old/1 year old in the car tho... WOW.
    Someone could take them or anything!!!!! Woah

But uh, as far as being 9years my mom would make me lock the doors and she'd take
    the keys. :-) I think its fine Gigi, I have never heard of that but its your choice :)
    kerri-

Answer by kerri- at 1:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• anon :58 now that I corrected kids from keys, I can repeat it again, He is the one that says "Aw, mom can I just stay here". He is not a burden, I never said he was and never will say that about my son.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 1:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Like a stranger is going to know to call the police because hes 10. How do they know his age? You know? lol
    kerri-

• I leave my 11 yr old in the car w/ my 3 yr old. Of course the doors are locked. And not if its really hot or really cold outside. Then no. But if i am parked in front of the QT nobody is going to smash the window & take off with them in front of dozen ppl.. I think really ppl are too paranoid sometimes. Its not like i leave them & go into wal mart for an hour!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i would be afraid for their safety at any age.
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 1:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2009