Would you move 2-hrs from your husband to take a job?

If you've been laid off for almost a year, cannot find a job where your at. Would you take a job that is 2-hours away (move with the kids), and live with family there? The job isn't 60,000 a year, its maybe $13-$16 an hour.

If you were seriously struggling? And your husband can just have his friends move-in to help with the rent? Would you do it?

It is to the point where we are out of bar soap and toothpaste, and 3-4 days till payday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• I've always done whatever is necessary. If it was necessary, yes.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• yes, until the second it put a strain on the kids or marriage.
    No money is worth your family.
    sharisse

Answer by sharisse at 3:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• can you afford to maintain two households on that salary?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Weigh the odds. What will happen with the money you make? Fuel for one. You really can't live scott free in someone elses home without contibuting. Then you are putting a strain on their lifestyles and that isn't fair to them. How often will you & DH see each other?
    My parents live 2 hrs away & it is a tank of gas anytime we go to see them and it really isn't that often.
    Then you will need daycare (or is family watching them)?
    Put everything down that you would really incur - normal situation. How much would you really have left? Couldn't you some how make that up around your house somehow. Take in a couple of kids or after school kids? Do a pick up service after school? Sell things on ebay?
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 8:25 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Honestly, no I wouldn't. I would suck up my pride and take an $8 an hour job in the town we live in before I moved 2 hours away from my husband. After you factor in gas and money that you will need to pay your family, you aren't going to end up with all that much left over anyways. You can start a babysitting service or an in-home daycare and make some money that way. Businesses are hiring, they just don't need to advertise it anymore like they used to. Network with your friends, find out who they know that might be hiring. Maybe the place where they work is hiring. Retailers are always hiring, try the grocery store, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, all those places. They may not pay the greatest, but they usually offer really good benefits and flexible hours, oh, and discounts. My husband is a retail manager, he may not be hiring one day, but the next he needs someone. He remembers the people who come in & personally speak to him.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It really depends on where you live. Around here, retail isn't hiring, they're cutting back. Most of our 24/7 businesses have cut back to only being open til 10 or 11 and reopening at 6 or 7. When there is an opening they get hundreds of apps for a single position. People are driving 50 miles just for the rumor of jobs.

Instead of keeping 2 households, I'd look first at finding somewhere to live half way between, so you both commute an hour, but, it would still be cheaper than 2 rent payments. This all depends on how much childcare is, too. Figure out all those costs and do whichever is cheaper.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• NO! I am going through that, daddy away from kids... VERY hard on the kids, marriage, life in general...
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• How about getting a house in the middle of the two jobs. It may just be cheaper.
    busymom1107

Answer by busymom1107 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Why wouldn't your husband come with you?

I was considering going back to graduate school this fall at a university about 3 hours away. I would have had an apartment in that town to stay in most weeknights and gone home on the weekends. It would not be possible or practical at this time for us to sell the house, and our school district is much better than the ones in the town the college is in. In the end I decided to stay home with my family (and got pregnant again which blew grad school out of the water anyway!!). I think it would have been too hard on my marriage and on my husband and I as individuals to live apart for most of the time.

But I do know marriages that survive and even thrive when one partner is away often, like military families or other occupations that require a lot of travel and separation. Do what seems right for your family. You could always try on a trial basis and quit if it doesn't work.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2009