Christians a question on perfection.

Are we as christian to strive for perfection, to become a perfect people in thought and mind and body so that when we get to heaven we will be ready for it? Does the bible say we are to strive towards this?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 2:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• http://www.howtogetsaved.org/
    We could never measure up that is why Jesus died.
    muffin400

Answer by muffin400 at 2:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Well I was raised *at least how I took it* that we are to strive to become perfect in Christ. That means taking care of our bodies in eating the BEST that we can get to, actuly our prophet preaches a health message. But the healthy isn't going to save you she does say that lol. I was raised jewellery is a no no, cause the bible says it is. Alsothat piercings and tatoos of course are an no no. But of late I have been questioning. I read the bible and don't see it saying tha jewellery is a nono, but to just not bank so much on my appearance. I was raise in teh sabbath worship, all secualar things are not to be done on sabbath, sundown to sundown is a special time with God. I don't mind that bt I question alot of what I do on sabbath lol So IDK I have feelings of inadaquacy. I guess... Those taht talk to me all the time know what I go through its a viciouse cycle of reiteration LOL.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• ... Aim for perfection, .... 2 Corinthians 13:11

Here's the whole scripture.
    2 Corinthians 13:11 (New International Version)

Final Greetings
    11Finally, brothers, good-by. Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• So I have to try to be perfect... how do I acheive that which is not possable?
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------
    Read Genesis 18:14; Matthew 19:24-26; Luke 1:37; Philippians 4:13

We have to first realize that our own righteousness is "as filthy rags". (Isaiah 64:6) We are to strive to live a life that reflects our Lord and Savior through prayer and TOTAL submission to Him. We could never do this on our own, that is why we have the Holy Spirit and a "Great High Priest" (Hebrews 4:14-16). Through the power of the Holy Spirit we can live a life that mirrors Christ. Love is the key. If we love Him, we will desire to please Him. If we desire to please Him we will seek His will in all things.

cont...
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:34 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Many kings and others wore jewelry in the Bible, jewelry was a sign of royalty, no where does it say we should not wear jewelry. We should love one another as we do ourselves, feed the hungry, clothe the naked and be kind to all.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 6:41 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• If we use the excuse "we're only human", we put a limit on the power of God to save us from the sin which separates us from Him. HE can do anything except lie (Numbers 23:19). HE will complete the work He has began in us (Philippians 1:6). We can do ALL things through the power of Christ. We must submit to God's will daily, dying to our own selfishness. We will fall into sin sometimes but we have a loving Father who desires to see us in Heaven even more than we desire to be there! He will do everything to save us, but we have to choose God. We can't lose if we truly have a desire for Him!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:42 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Rhanford, you're looking at service to God in a legalistic sense. Not wearing jewelry, keeping the Sabbath, not getting a tattoo---none of these things will save you! God loves you, and He wants a relationship with you. Just forget the "rules" and look to Him.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• as muffin400 stated, we will NEVER measure up or be prefect. We ARE however to try to live by Christ's example and be as Christlike as possilbe. God knows we will fall short of this. Ever since Adam and Eve ate of the apple, the human race has fallen short of prefection. It is about our struggle and our true heartfelt desire to be as perfect as Christ a possible that truly matters. if you only go through the motions and actions because you want to be saved but lack the true love for Christ, it won't do you much good.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 8:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Perfection and Salvation are two different things. We are saved (Justified) in our belief. We are Sanctified as a gradual process by action of the Holy Spirit within us throughout our lifetime and will not be made entirely perfect until we've died and have been made perfect in Christ (not every demon believes this though, for example, Wesley based denoms believe in Total Sanctification wherein perfection is rare but possible before death). WE can't FORCE OURSELVES towards perfection by making a legalistic list of rules (most rules people come up with I personally question if God even cares about) and following them as if our own merrits meant anything (as Lexy quoted Isaiah). We need to follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit as he sanctifies us, not putting our own man-made rules over top of what MEN say "perfects" us. Your good works should be service to God; not out of ritual or legalism.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2009