I understand how to handle good/bad behavior, got manners down to a T, and cleaning up our mess(es) is an activity instead of chore. Now how do I stop him from peeing on everything???

My recently-turned 4 year old has a urinating issue.

When he is in his bedroom playing, for whatever reason, he will drop his shorts and just urinate all over the floor, as if it were one big fuzzy and absorbent toilet. The thing is, he knows it's wrong, so he tries to cover it up with a towel or blanket, even if he knows we saw him do it.

He's been potty trained for 2 years, but once in a while he gets a crazy hair up his butt to pee on things. Mainly the floor and his bed. Which is Lightning McQueen, and it's really cool, so I totally have trouble understanding this.

He doesn't care that it smells or is gross. (I caught him drinking from the toilet a couple of times, so apparently urine is totally cool for the drinking and living in).

I've tried everything I can think of. I can't make him stop "marking his territory". As funny as it sounds, lol, it's quite gross and disturbing. Any suggestions?

new_mom_10_21

Asked by new_mom_10_21 at 3:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh goodie... you too?
    I was wondering what to do with my own pissy princess. I guess it's normal for four? My older children didn't but they aren't normal anyways.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 3:52 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• yes it is a phaze...just keep emphasizing its wrong, and have him help clean it up...he will grow out of it eventually
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Definetly have him help clean it up. He will get tired of doing that and hopefully stop, and stop soon. That must be frustrating to deal with.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Just a thought, but I could be way off. I know kids get waaaay into what they are doing and can "forget" to go pee. Maybe keep a potty chair in the room for him to use in case he's playing too much and waiting for the last minute to go?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Do you have a puppy or a child? lol Just put some news paper down for him! JK
    How about if you set a timer in his room and when it dings he has to pee. This might get him back into the habit.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Thanks for the advice, but I tried the egg timer. He doesn't pee on a regular schedule, so half the time, he doesn't have to pee when it dings. If he has to pee at all in between dings, he just goes on the floor. I can't afford to buy a rug doctor to keep his floors clean, so renting one is becoming very costly.

He told me this morning that peeing on the floor is a good thing and that he wants to do it. I just don't understand! lol.
    new_mom_10_21

Answer by new_mom_10_21 at 3:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• What if you had one an older male cousin talk to him or someone you know around age 7-8-9. He might need to know from someone other than you that other boys dont pee on the floor...peer presuure my lady! Can you imagine that conversation? lol I bet the first word would be "Dude...."
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 8:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• have him help you clean it up, when he does it try not to react to it because thats what some children are looking for is your reaction.
    Laceymay

Answer by Laceymay at 8:02 PM on Sep. 6, 2009