How do i deal with my teenage son moving to live with his Dad 8hrs away!!!!

I feel im missing everything and its killing me!!! I have a wonderful daughter with me his biological sister and she is great but im so used to having them both

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• there isnt anything you can do...you have to let him...this will be a good learning experience for him.....i went and lived with my father who i really didnt know when i was 16...it was great, but he was more of a friend than a parent...i did end up going back home...and it was nice getting to know who my dad is...but i always knew my mom was the one to turn to...so dont worry...it will turn out all right in the end.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 5:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My son graduated from High School this past May and has gone down to my Mom's for a few weeks. He's trying to lose weight for the Navy and I'm too soft hearted to keep him on a diet. It's tearing me up that he's gone, I keep opening his bedroom door to tell him something, and when I do I realize he's not there. I don't know what will make it easier, my son and I have always been close and I miss him terribly and it takes everything I've got to keep from getting in my car and going to pick him up. I don't know how to get through this except one day at a time. I wish I had better advice, but I don't. I also have a daughter at home and she misses her big brother/protector at school also. Good Luck and God Bless, if you need a shoulder in common to cry on, message me.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Aww, I completely understand. Our oldest is going to college out of state...2 time zones away :(
    All you can do is let him go and tell him he always has a home with you. It is heartbreaking, I will not lie. And there are moments when I STILL cry because I want him near home. But it gets better. You call and keep in touch. Send care packages. Plan visits and enjoy your time with them. It's really another level of parenting, they don't stop needing you. They just need you in a different way. Hey holler anytime you feel the tears coming on.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:03 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• My son lives in Jersey & I live in Missouri. It was a hard transition for me at first but it got easier. I still miss him of course. I mail him boxes regularly with books, snacks, candy. I keep in touch with him via facebook & email. I also talk to him on the phone as often as possible (he's in sports so sometimes his time is limited but at least once a week). He's been there for 2 years now. He only gets back here twice a year (summer & xmas break) so we make the most of our time together. He's 15 & he still really enjoys hanging out with the family (believe it or not! lol) so we try to plan special things that he will like while he's here...movies, going out to eat, amusment park at least once in the summer, etc. He will graduate at 17 & plans on attending college near here so I am looking forward to it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009