Temper tantrums...at 14 months?

My son recently figured out the angry mode...He screams, hits, pushes- all of it, over stupid things. How can I begin teaching him when its okay to be really upset and when its just not acceptable? I know he's really young and wont grasp all of it but I don't want him thinking he can get away with murder, ya know?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 8:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The next step beyond what jademom07 suggests (which I agree with) is to try to redirect him. You understand what he wants but he can't have it (for whatever reason). Explain the problem then get him to move on. Something like, "you can't have the knife because it's dangerous, let's go play with your ". Then move on either by picking him up and physically going to the toy or by walking away and playing with the toy yourself. Try not to focus too much on the tantrum itself as that may cause it to continue, at least that's been my experience.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The tantrums are usually caused (at this age) from an inability to communicate what they want or how they feel...releasing that anger is good but you need to show him the correct way to do so...first start by finding his triggers and when you start seeing him getting worked up, take a time out, not for being in trouble, just some quiet time to relax...during that time, tell him you understand that he is frustrated and maybe he can show mommy what he wants...try to intercept before he gets out of control. get face level with him and say things like , I know you are angry, mommy gets angry too, how can I help, I've even gone so far as screaming with her when I can't get her attention so she knows that I understand.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2009