How did your first child react to the birth of your second?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• she was actually very excited...but we were afraid she would feel left out so we made sure to do things with her to make her feel special...like we enrolled her in the hospitals "big sister" course...she got to learn how to hold a baby and change its diaper, and give it a bottle...she loved it! then we got her a nice present from her little sister when she was born...we got her one of those older nintendo hand held games...she was thrilled...so she never had much of a problem transitioning into being a big sister.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• when I got pregnant with baby number 2 my first child was 2 years old she didn't say much she would lift up my shirt to kiss my belly and tell the baby she loved him or her. We had the baby 3 months before she turned 3 and she was ok other than when I was at the hospital and I called home after having the baby she wouldn't talk to me on the phone lol. She loved the baby and always wanted to hold the baby she didn't care if I held the baby, but god forbid if daddy held the baby lol. She is a daddys girl. She would get so jellous of daddy holding the baby she achually didn't hit the jellousy fase until like 3.5 she is almost 4.5 now and still in it I wish it would end lol. Just give the oldest a lot of attention before the baby is born and when you can after the baby is born
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• my son just turned3 and my baby is 3 mnths old. omg my son just loves him . he asks to hold him sometimes not alot .. he never gets mad when me or daddy is holding him. my 3 yr old loves the baby alot cant keep his hands off of him. lord i was blessed. i just spend alot of time with my 3 yr old when the baby is nappiing and when daddy gets home from work he tay in with baby while me and oldest go out side too play some ball.
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Our son was so excited to have a new sibling, but I think that was because Dora's mommy (on Nick Jr.) had the twins about 2 weeks before I had our daughter. Suddenly he realized what was going to happen (he was 3) and couldn't wait for the new baby.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:34 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My oldest was only 15 months old when her brother was born. She really didn't know what was going on but took to him right away and always wanted to help take care of him. They are 9 and almost 8 and still very close. We've never had any issues bringing a new baby home to this family. When #3 was born the other two were 28 months and 13 months and they just accepted her into the family. And when #4 was born they were almost 6, 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and all of them were so excited. It's all they talked about for months. My son was a little upset at first because he wanted a little brother but we let him hold the baby first and he was infatuated. He did everything for her when she was a baby. He even helped potty train her last fall because he WANTED to. She's 3 1/2 now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:14 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• He loved her immediately. He has been very excited to help and if anything wants to do things he is not physcially capable of yet.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I started before the birth talking about what was coming and afterward allowed him to help me with her so he didn't feel left out or replaced. It worked out well.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• she was overjoyed to have a 'buddy'

my OB let her hold the heart monitor thingy and to feel the baby and help with the belly measurements. she thought it was really neat.

we left to have baby after she was in bed and dh was home before she was up so he told her he had a special treat just for her. and brought her in to see her new baby sister.

the first words out of her mouth were "where's MY baby?" and they've been like that ever since (of course there is sibling rivalry but sisterhood overcomes all that)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:34 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• He'd been asking for a baby sister for years. I was just glad it was a girl, because never once did he ask for a baby brother LOL. He was very excited and jumped into his role as a big brother with enthusiasm.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• She couldn't wait for me to have him. I put her in a sibling class and she was in the deliery room with me. She loved it and even touched his head when he was crowning. Then when he came out her eyes got really big and she said WOW! Now she wants me to have another so she can see it again. But she really loves him they are always together.
    Haven_Doug1013

Answer by Haven_Doug1013 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009