Umbilical cord question

my dd is 8 days old and her umbilical cord is falling off. it has pussy looking stuff under it and looks really gross. its almost all the way off and i am afraid to touch it. Is this normal? (The puss part I mean)

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 9:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yea, it's healing. just keep cleaning it each day and it will fall off in no time!
    ashjacks4

Answer by ashjacks4 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• If you continue using alcohol around the base, which is what my dr recommended (and I think pretty standard) then it should kill off any infection.

Answer by missanc at 9:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes, when the belly button comes off it's gross... We kept thinking my son had a dirty diaper but realized the smell was coming from the belly button. It was still connected by a whitish slime. Yuck! The dr said this was completely normal. It fell off a few days later and the pediatrician cleaned all the junk out. Then he was back to being my sweet smelling baby...
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2009