What can i do to help my 4 month old with her couching and stuffy nose?

She HATES the nose sucker, and i dont want to hurt her by sucking her nose constantly. She can barely breath at night and wakes up by cough and gagging. I let her sleep on a bobby pillow to keep her head up right but she is still terrible. I feel terrible. Is it bad that her snot is bright green ? She doesnt have a temperature though, i keep checking? HELP!

scarlettsmom09

Asked by scarlettsmom09 at 9:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If her sinus drainage is green or yellow, that is usually a sign of infection. Even if she doesn't have a fever. I would have her looked at, but that's just me.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Color of mucus don't necessairly mean anything. Not much you can do unless the cold gets worse. If after a few days it doesn't seem to get better, or the cough starts to sound really bad, take her in. For now, do steam. Take her in the bathroom, close the door and run a really hot shower. THat should help clear her nose up a bit. Use a humidifier in her room, too. No meds yet. The suction thingy helps, even if she doesn't liek it. Put salin in the nose first. My daughter always fought it until she was old enough to realize it actually helped. At 11 months she would insistant on holding it and putting it up her own nose. Now at 2, she'll walk around and sucking her baby dolls! :) Also, instead of a bobby which can kink her neck, put a blanket under her crib matteress to allow her to sleep at an angle. It' just safer, I think. Or swing or bouncer to sleep if you are nearby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Vick vapor rub. Humidifier. these will help.

Answer by louise2 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• does vicks vapor rub hurt a baby? i thought it could cause pneumonia or something? i have a vicks vapor that you plug into the wall? what do you guys think?
    scarlettsmom09

Answer by scarlettsmom09 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• With mine, we put vicks on her cheest, neck and feet. The feet is an old wives tale that I think helps to calm coughing. A warm mist humidifier, this helps to keep her mouth and nose hydratted and the warm helps to losen the mucas better, to keep it draining. If you have a swing with a 5 point harness, put her in that for the night. Little noses makes a nasal decongestant for babies, that works well. If the cold doesn't improve in week then she needs to go to the doctor. Good luck, I hate it when such little ones get sick, it is harder.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• thanks so much for your guys' help!
    scarlettsmom09

Answer by scarlettsmom09 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• try a vaporizer or humidifier. that usually helps. and you can also use those rubber things that you squeeze and it sucks out the mucus from the baby's nose. hope i helped'
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• There is a Vick's baby rub (the adult version should NOT be used on babies) that you can use for her. Putting it on the feet really does work for coughing. I used to give my son baths with the Vapor bath from J & J, then put the Vick's Baby rub on him (it's lavender and chamomile blend), just on his chest and back (NEVER in or around the nose or mouth!). Put the Vick's on her feet and have her sleep with either socks on or footie pjs. A cool mist humidifier works well too. Hope she feels better! P.S even though they hate the snot sucker, it's best to still use it. Try some saline first.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• buy the baby rub from baies r us it helps...
    laly87

Answer by laly87 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 5, 2009