"What's that?"

Oh Lord. My 3 year old has got to the "What's that?" stage. And don't get me wrong, I love his curiosity about the world, but he asks what's that even when he knows what the answer is. And if I don't give the exact answer he's looking for he'll say "No, what's that?" For example, he will point to a toy truck and ask what it is. I'll say it's a truck. "No, what's that?" "Well, I don't know. It looks like a truck to me." " NO! It's a toy!" How long does this stage last?

renea20

Asked by renea20 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• He is engaging you in conversation in one of the few ways he knows how at his age lol. Talk to him all the time. Look at books and ask him "what's that?" He just wants to talk. It will run its course.
    Mine is currently going through the "transference" stage. Everything round is a ball. In the produce section all apples, pumpkins, oranges, onions are balls. So I have to explain the difference. Kids are so much fun!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Reverce the question. When he asked "what's that" Ask him, "You tell me what that is".

Answer by louise2 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• the PP gave you a good idea....what do you think it is? make him think
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Stages come and go and last for different lengths of time as every child is different. Some stages are easier to deal with, I would take your "what's that" stage over my daughter's whiney stage any day.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i hear that one all the time from my 21 month old daughter... the is going through the "what's that?" and the "no..." and the "who's that?" - all day every day... but, i don't mind answering her questions... i love her... we'll survive this too...
    hanniwrencher

Answer by hanniwrencher at 9:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• they love to practice conversations ... they know where they are going with stuff you have talked about over and over before... it is a familiar and soothing thing to them, just like watching shows and movies they have seen, the more you indulge it the sooner they will get over it. every kid move through child developmental stages at different paces so it is hard to say how long it lasts.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I feel your pain. Unfortunately, my kids aren't at the what's that stage. They're at the teenage "we know everything" stage. ;-)

I agree with the other pps though - when he says "what's that", then you say, what do you think it is? Or, if you answer with the "it's a truck", and he says, no, it's a toy, you can say something like, well, it's a toy truck - it looks like we were both right...

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• LOL DD does that. i turn it back and go, "I don't know! What IS that? Do you know?" Works everytime.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Wow, at least he points. My daughter sits in the back seat and asks. I'm like, I have no idea what you are looking at! If I try to put it back on her, she just keeps repeating "what's that". She's 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2009