Can you buy baby food in jars at the store and then freeze them for later use?

I have a coupon where I have to buy 10 jars at once to use the coupon.

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why would you want to freeze them? There should be a "best by" date stamped on them, and it should be sometime in like 2011? (i have one jar of baby food left and that's what the date on it is). Coupons for baby food are fairly common, but if you want to stock up, you should be able to do that and just keep them in your pantry.

Answer by missanc at 10:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I agree with the pp - as long as you don't open the jar and the seal isn't broken, then it will be fine stored on the shelf. But it's really NOT a good idea to freeze sealed food in jars. As the contents expand and constrict during the freezing / defrosting process, you can actually break the jars, at the very least you'll break the seal in the jar, which then negates the expiration date on the jar.

Just go ahead and buy the food and keep it in your pantry - after all, that's where they keep it at the store, and theirs a reason they call it "shelf life" :-)

PS - sounds like a pretty good coupon - I used to stock up like that when my kids were eating baby food :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yeah, if it's a jar, it should be good for a couple years, according to the "Best By" date. You should be fine.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Do not freeze them in the jars, they will break.
    poptart106

Answer by poptart106 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• ummm they last forvever! Just check the date. Usually 10 jars is nothing if they eat them everyday.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i have been stocking up baby food since my twins were born. I just check the dates on the jars (or tubs) before buying them and make sure they dont expire til 2010 or 2011. Any thing with an '09 date i skip over and dig further back on the shelves. (i prefer the later dates because my newest niece or nephew will be starting baby food when my twins turn one and i can give my sister any left overs)

oh and my twins are 3.5 months
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• most baby food has a CRAZY far away expiration date.. chances are you wouldnt even need to freeze them and they'd still be good 6+ months from now..

when youre buying them.. check the dates if you are worried and make sure that you buy the ones that have the farthest date :)
    StarliteImages

Answer by StarliteImages at 3:42 PM on Sep. 4, 2009