how do you decide if you and your family should get the swine flu vaccine?

there is so much contradiction involved with the swine flu and the vaccine that im left confused. i dont know what to believe anymore. i know that i should research it but how do you know what you are reading is real and not exaggerted? can someone please help because i dont know what i should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If me or my children had comprimised immune systems or Asthma then I would consider the vax, but at this point we are all healthy and they don't even know if the vax will work, so it's not worth it to me
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:19 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I agree with the pp. Due to some unique work and living situations, our family has had a lot of vaccinations, from the regular ones to things for things like encephalitis, and my dh has had anthrax and small pox vaccinations, too.

But, since there isn't any real proof that the vax will work, and since, honestly, the number of deaths from this has been really low so far, for me and mine, we aren't planning on it. If my dh has to get it because of his job, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but me and the kids, probably not. We're all healthy, and none of us are in what's usually considered the higher risk age groups, so...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i have researched and found that they have not tested that vax enough so we wont get it.... just google it and sort through the crap... look for professionally reviewed journals... Jama is a good source to use.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My kids are 5, 10, and 12 and in generally very great health, and I am 31 and in fairly good health, so I don't think we will get the vaccine. I would get it if my kids were younger, or if they had compromised immune systems or other illnesses especially asthma or other lung related illnesses or heart conditions. In those incidences I would think that the benefit would far outweigh the risk of getting the shots.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My decision is based on my past reactions to the ordinary flu shot and my gut feelings about something new.
    I had to have a flu shot for my job and was sick for over a week with the worse flu in my life. I never had the flu shot after that (I was waived due to my reaction) and have never caught the flu since.
    I make the decision not to got out to get a new vaccination until it has been used on a wide variety of the population to see what the short & long term effects are.
    I have read that the Gardisal vaccine that helps to prevent certain cervical cancers in young women is now not being as widely used due to certain side effects that the recipients have shown.
    I never want to take a chance with anything new.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009