I need to vent!!

My son is almost 8 months and he is a TERRIBLE sleeper. It is awful he cries all night unless he is in my arms and most of the night i end up sleeping in the recliner. I try to let him cry but i don't let him cry it out. I love him more than anything in the world but i'm not sure i will ever do it again. My husband tries to help but after a few minutes he comes to bed to get me. I sometimes cry more than my son cause of lack of sleep and lack of help. I don't know what else to do other than cry and sleep sitting up with him in my arms. Our family doesn't live near us so i never get a break. My husband tries but whenever i meet a friend for dinner or something i have to listen the rest of the night about it. I'm not trying to put my husband down,he is a great guy most of the time i just needed to vent. I do love my family very much its just they are very hard to handle sometimes. Comments and suggestions welcomed.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• im sorry your going thru that but you really need to sleep train him and let him cry it out, he is dependant on you both to soothe him. i let my son cio and hes only 4 months, but he sleeps 10hrs at nite so i like to think it worked well...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• just curious why haven't you let him cry it out? for even 5minutes? was he a very attached baby from the start ? like always being held ect ect, not saying that's spoiling him but maybe he fears separation now that hes used to being with u or held by you 24/7, honestly its not what u want to hear but i would try to let him CIO for 5 minutes and then go to 10 , and def no rice in the bottle it really does NOT help them sleep
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• for a break when he is ready to sleep but can not
    put him in crib or bassinet whatever you are using and vaccumm
    sounds dumb, but white noise can help
    and if it does not put him to sleep, it will give your ears a break, get some mindless house work done while possibly letting him cry it out ubder the cover of white noise

good luck and he is already 8 months so it should not be too much longer before you get some well deserved rest
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I let him cry sometimes but am not a fan of letting him for a while. I have read things that give reasons to not let him cry it out. He used to be a pretty good sleeper. Anon- Do you put him in the crib while still awake and just let him cry? I rock my son to sleep and then when i try to put him down is when it al goes south. I know its wrong but i can't get out of the habit.
    kelka24

Answer by kelka24 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Is he your first baby? Letting a child cry is heart wrenching...I know, I have 5. But honey, he is 8 months old. You need to let him know who is in charge, and where he should sleep. It may take a night or two, and it will be sooo hard for you, but I swear, once you just stick to your guns and get it over with both of you will sleep better. It is not fair to deprive yourself of needed sleep. Then you are tired, cranky and not the best mom you can be. My kids range from 23 on down to 2. Trust me when I tell you, they will get away with whatever they can as long as you let them. Tough it out momma! You both will be better off in the long run. Good luck
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I'm very sorry this is happening. I'm curious though. Is there a reason you have not tried to let him cry it out? I am not a huge fan of the technique myself but I finally had to try it. I was exhausted and did a large amount of crying myself because of the same reasons as you but I also have a three year old but no help from my DH at all. It has worked the vast majority of the times I've let her CIO. She does go to sleep. Or you could try white noise. You just have to find what works for him and you.

wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I USED TO HAVE A HARD TIME PUTTING MY SON TO BED UNTIL I DISCOVERED MUSIC VIDEOS AND THE WALKER. I PLAY WITH HIM SO MUCH BEFORE BED TIME ON THE WALKER. EVEN WHEN I KNOW HE IS SLEEPY I CONTINUE FOR ABOUT ANOTHER HALF HOUR. I THEN MAKE HIM A BOTTLE AND HAVE HIS CLOTHES LAID OUT ON THE BED. GIVE HIM A BATH AND HIS BOTTLE. ROCK HIM IN THE ROCKING CHAIR WHILE PLAYING THE VIDEOS AND HE IS OUT LIKE A LIGHT BY THE FOURTH VIDEO. I DON'T MIND ALL OF THE WORK BECAUSE IT IS PLAYING AND LISTEN TO MUSIC. GOOD LUCK
    js3mommy

Answer by js3mommy at 1:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• does he cry during the day too? Is he a cranky, high needs baby? Has he been this way since birth? If he is, talk to your doctor about switching to a hyopallergenic formula if he's FF or cut out dairy if he's BF. It may just be that he's allergic/intolerant and feels awful.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009