Why can't i get my 19mo to sleep through the night?

he loves to climb out of the crib in the middle of the night ,and refuses to go back to bed...i have to put on a wiggles video, give him his ba...and now last night he wasnt going back to bed for anything. Did i mention im 7mo preg, and im soooo tired. We just moved him out of our room into his new room 3 days ago.he didnt seem to mind the change to this new room, just that he keeps waking up and climbing out all night long now.

guitarmom101

Asked by guitarmom101 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Best advice I can give you is to ignore him. Don't give in and put hte video on. It can quickly become habbit for him. Keep the room quite and dark. Allow him to play if necessary, but in the dark and be quiet. As long as the room is safe, then keep him in there with the door closed or a baby gate up. By "ba" do you mean bottle? He's old enough he should be able to get through the night w/o it, unless it's a growth spurt. Do you give water or milk?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Wish I had an answer . My son is 14 mons old , still wakes up crawls out of his bed and into ours early morning and takes a sippy cup. Let me know when you find something that works !~ Congrats on the baby Iam also 7 months with our 2nd . So exciting ~
    pinalove

Answer by pinalove at 12:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• You might try a crib tent to keep him in his bed. That might slow down his efforts. If not, you might need to move him to a bed (or a mattress on the floor) to make sure he doesn't hurt himself. Close his door and put a knob protector on so he can't get out. Don't go to him immediately and see if he'll give up and resettle himself. I dread when my 2 yr old wakes up at night because on those occasions when he doesn't go back to sleep no his own, we also have trouble getting him back to sleep. I bring him downstairs, let him watch a video and play for a bit. I give him a warning when it's time to go back up (i.e. "when this is done, it's bedtime"), bring him back up, put him into bed and leave. He will protest but he then gives up and goes to sleep. It isn't a perfect solution but since he doesn't do it frequently, I can live with it (I'm also not 7 months pregnant...)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2009