How much milk should i be getting?

I have a baby in the NICU and I am pumping- every 3 hours- the MOST I get is first thing in the morning- I get 2 oz (total) then I get about an ounce every other time during the day- I had the baby exactly one week ago- should i start taking anything???

jessicasea

Asked by jessicasea at 10:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no thats normal. some people pump less and others like me can pump alot more. but 2 oz is normal with a pump.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• If your baby is in NICU , I would guess he/she is small. Your milk supply is small too. Might be enough for baby, but sounds like it is a bit low IMO. Is this your first?? You maybe doing something wrong as far as how you are pumping. Maybe not a good pump that you bought or your not getting the "let down" Try taking a hot shower before pumping, look at pics of your baby (to kinda get emotional about the pumping) if you can make it a personal thing. I know a pump isn't emotional, but keep in mind how when your baby is home it will be a wonderful connection. You should FEEL the "let down" . When milk almost start gushing into your nipple. It is based on supply and demand, so keep demanding more from your breast. Make sure you empty each one everytime. Maybe call and talk to a lactation consultant too. GL and hope baby is strong and healthy soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• That's normal. I'm still BFing my 13 month old, and I get diddly squat when I pump. Even when she was an infant and nursing every 2-3 hours it would take me TWO DAYS just to pump 4 ounces.

You CAN take supplements if you want. Fenugreek is good. Join the Breast Feeding Moms group here in CM, and they can give you all sorts of valuable information. I only took fenugreek, so hopefully someone else can chime in with some other remedies.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Thanks ladies- I have seen lactation consultants- they are great- I have the hospital; grade pump- and lactation told me not everyone feels let down- I don't - I have tried warm compresses and massage when my breasts hurt- I will join the BF group :) Thanks!
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 11:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The amounts you specified are pretty normal. Remember, that baby gets more then the pump. If at all possible, nurse directly from the breast. Not everyone feels a let down, I only felt it a few times. Are you still in the hospital? Are you able to nurse directly? What pump are you using?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I am not in the hospital but my baby is- I am using the Medela pump- one when I go and visit Zack and another one at home. I have attempted to nurse directly, he plays but isn't able to do it just yet- he is too tired still :)
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 12:04 AM on Sep. 4, 2009