do you think I'll have the baby soon??

I had my membranes stripped yesterday. All last night my cramps were so bad I finally convinced myself at 6 this morning that I was in early labor. My fiance had to remind me to breathe. All those breathing exercises and what I learned about inviting the pain... yeah I forgot about all that, lol. I was thinking "ouch" and "I don't want to have my baby on the 3rd" (I like even numbers, I'm weird) So I finally fell asleep around 7 and got some sleep, woke up now, my breasts hurt a lot, but no more cramps for the time being. Do you think that was just because I had my membranes stripped or do you think that means I may have the baby soon. I'm 38 weeks today!!

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 10:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well i had my 2nd baby 8 days ago and I had contractions for three hours in the morning. they stopped so i took a long walk and later that night i was in full blown labor and had her at 12:40 am. good luck and i hope your baby comes on an even #:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• if your cramps/contractions stopped then your not in labor. just breath and go for a nice long walk!!! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I know I'm not in labor... I'm hoping labor is on the horizon though, lol.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 11:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It's possible... but labor is always possible at 38 weeks. The cramping was most likely a reaction to the membrane stripping, if it's stopped now then your body and baby probably aren't ready to keep going with labor yet. Give it time, I know the end if hard!
    nattabugsmommy

Answer by nattabugsmommy at 11:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I'm not sure but I know that when I got my membranes stripped, I started having contractions right away and they never went away. I was in active labor two days later, but mine never stopped.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• There is every variation possible: Maybe you will, maybe not...
    Is this your first baby? (average gestation is 41 weeks, 1 day)

It is very early to have your membranes stripped and work, so the chances would be reduced.

You were feeling pain~ it's okay, but what a great opportunity to practice coping! When you are in labor, you will want to "invite" the intensity, not fear it, but welcome it. Then, as it grows, you can have a "positive perspective," because you know that you are okay and this intensity (doesn't have to be "pain"), is all for helping bring baby out.

Sorry to ramble there~ just wanted to remind you that pain has a purpose and our perception of it can adjust to make it all better & easier.
    I do think that is a bit early to expect it to work, but it might!

Would you like a natural birth?
    (*Inviting unneeded interventions can derail that plan, FYI)

Stay strong!! Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Also! (lol!)

My biggest lesson as a mother (of 7 years now) and a doula, is that things don't just go how *we* want them to.
    Becoming a mom has been about learning to let go of what *I* want and being okay with change.
    For example:
    If you have a numbers thing about the 3rd then you're baby will probably come on the 3rd because you were so dead set against that, lol.
    ;-P
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• stripping doesnt work for everyone. it did for me i went tinto labor 3 hrs after getting my membranes stripped
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• you could have days like that on and off for the next few weeks. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009