Tomatoes 911

I have beautiful mater plants in the yard, but they are starting to split at the tops, sometimes before they turn red. Is this a sign of under/over watering?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Have you guys experienced high temps in the last two weeks? This can cause them to split. Regular watering helps more than anything. Also, feel the soil about 3" under the plant. If it's still moist-not soggy you should be okay.
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 10:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• OP here, no if anything it has been a cool summer comparitavely speaking. It is usually way way hotter than it has been this year. I use Miracle Grow once a week and that makes a HUGE difference in production and the size of the fruit. I think if anything I am under watering them. I will give it a try, thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• usually overwatering, but it can also be an attribute of the tomato variety you have.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2009