Christians - how do you get motivated?

I keep wanting to sit down and read my Bible and study it an have my quiet devotional time, but I can't seem to get motivated. I pray all day, everyday to just sit down and open it. But I am not a morning person and have a hard time getting out of bed earlier than the kids (and they get up at 7am) and once they are up, I have no quiet time. Then once they are in bed for the night (9:30pm) I need an hour to chill out from the kids and then I fall asleep before I can even get started. How do you get started and motivated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's one suggestion. We make appts for doc appt, kids stuff etc. therefore make a permanent standing, appointment with God. If you keep a schedule or calendar.. write it in and when someone asks you to do something or something happens... look at ur calendar/appt book the way you would for other appts and say sorry I have an appointment right now. It doesn't have to be first thing in the morning or at night... pick a time during the day that you can say... I have an appointment.. and then go and have your appointment time with God...

also.. start small... 15 min, then adj ur time to 30 min.. etc.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• You have to think of it this way. God, Jesus takes time for us. We should take time for him. When you think about reading it just do it. Try not to make excuses. God bless you.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 11:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• great answer Jguevara..... Also just make some time out of your day to send time with God and read your word... Even if its just one verse... God blessssss
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I have had to make myself a morning person, LOL.

I get up at 5 am every morning and have "coffee with God" - I brew some coffee, read my devotional and my bible verses and then do some deep thinking and meditation/reflection for a few minutes. Then I take a few moments to pray.

I have a wonderful devotional bible that makes it easy, though - it has a reading plan (which you can choose to follow or not) and several daily devotions throughout the book.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I guess you will have to make time. I do and I have a newborn and a three year old. God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Thank you all for the help. I too regretfully have more day than time and guess who gets ignored most of all? I WILL give Him one of my breaks at work to start...I have my Bible, I just need a good devotional!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 2:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Thank you all so much for your help! (WAganma56, thank you too... I'm glad this could help someone else as well). I really like the appointment idea and will be starting that. Thank you all so much!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Sep. 4, 2009