Does it bother you?

Does it bother you when someone pregnant with their first child advises others on how to raise their children? Is it truly one of those things you don't understand until you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes, it really is.

However, I think that a lot of people have some of their main principles already set...such as pacifier usage, breast feeding vs. formula feeding, etc.

But remember...those preggo moms have read lots of books. Doesn't that make them a professional?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It bothers me when anyone advises me on how to raise my children. I don't believe in unsolicited advice anyway though so that might just be me.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Everyone has a right to their opinions.

Answer by louise2 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I'm TOTALLY with wildflowers25! I'm not so full of myself that I won't ask for help when I need it but I don't like it when people just offer up advice. But in contradiction to what I just said, sometimes I end up with advice that I didn't realize I needed until I needed it, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• There are some very well informed preggo mom's out there. There are some very naive and well intentioned as well. If I disagree with somebody else opinion, I simply ignore it, after all nobody knows my child better than me. So I consider the source and check references.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 11:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yeah, it is one thing to ask for help or opinions but when it comes to other's children, I tend to keep my mouth shut until I'm asked. I just feel like no one knows children like their own parents. But that's the thing with becoming a parent - suddenly you're entitled to everyone's advice. Every now and then good ones come your way but mostly I end up ignoring them because I don't agree.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It depends. If I am asking an opinion then I am fine with their 'advice'. If I am not and they try to push their opinion on me then I don't like it. (same with childless people-- somehow some of them think they know it all and can do so much better....)
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I'm guessing from your question that you have had an experience with one...she may think she has all of the answers and has read all of the books but she will soon find out that all babies are different and they don't always follow the manuel...so to speak
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It never bothers me that someone voices their opinion. I know a first time mom doesn't know what I know so I just smile and go on. She will deal with reality soon enough! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 11:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• You really can't know much about raising children until you've done it. It's sort of a learn as you go thing! What really bothers me is these so called experts who have tons of college, and book knowledge....but have no children!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2009