Any new moms going to school and working?

Hi Moms,

I have a 3 year old daughter and about to have my second. I am going to go back to work PT after I have the baby and start school. Is anyone juggling a job, school, and motherhood without too much stress? I am really looking forward to my masters program and my new baby. I am wondering if I should quit work and live off students loans for 3 years. My husband works but cannot cover all expenses. If I go to school pt and work pt it will probably take about 5 years to finish.

Any suggestion or words of advice?

holliberri

Asked by holliberri at 11:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• My words of advice are get as many GRANTS as you can, not student loans, because you don't have to pay back grants. With student loans you are just setting yourself up to be in debt when you graduate, and with 2 children you want to avoid that kind of debt if you can, not walk into it.
    I go to school and I work. My SO has a decent job, and we have it set up that so long as I can pay rent every month, he can cover all other expenses. That saves us from splitting things up. I work weekends, and take one class online so I can be available for work more if they try to call me in. My SO takes every over-time day he can get.
    Yes, it sucks. It is stressful, and you don't get to see your family nearly as much as you would like. When it is time to do homework, you need to either do it when the kids are in bed, or make sure your SO understands that you can not be disturbed. Its a long road, but it is doable.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:15 AM on Sep. 3, 2009